Random Freezes while playing

Hello,

just like in the title, when I play games on my laptop, I experience some random freezes, even though I have 100+ fps. Since I have little knowlege about pc´s and stuff, I have no idea what causes that.

Here are my specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intelcore I7-8750H

RAM
8.00GB

Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FX504GD (U3E1)

Graphics
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage
119GB KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3128GJ SSD
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS541010B7E610 HDD

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The first thing to check is that all Windows updates are installed and that all drivers are up to date and properly installed.

It would be worth running an 'sfc /scannow' command (without quotes) to check the system files.

Generally a freeze is due to some resource being in contention, the Windows Performance Monitor could help here, it depends on how often you get the freezes. As a first step I would stop all non-essential processes, so this means stopping applications you don't need whilst gaming, especially those that start with Windows. Basically you want to reduce the load on the PC to see whether the freezes will stop. If they do you can start to figure out which application is causing the freezes and then figure out why.

It might be worth running the Windows Resource Monitor even when not gaming to see what the resource utilisations are, even when idle. You can see these in the Task Manager of course but the Resource Monitor has much better granularity.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
In addition to the above, what exactly are we talking about in terms of freezing? How long do the freezes last, are they like little hitches or stutters lasting an instant, or freezes for several seconds / causing the game to crash? Do you only get these within games? What games and while doing what?

Games freeze for miliseconds, just like you said "little hitches". They appear in every game that I play (Overwatch, CS:GO, The Witcher 3, even Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl). They appear only while gaming.

I have only needed porgrams running in the background, like Discord and Steam but the freezes appear even without them.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Games freeze for miliseconds, just like you said "little hitches". They appear in every game that I play (Overwatch, CS:GO, The Witcher 3, even Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl). They appear only while gaming.

I have only needed porgrams running in the background, like Discord and Steam but the freezes appear even without them.

What version graphics driver are you on?

I have Version: 398.36, at least that`s what geforce experience says.

It´s going to be hard to update my drivers since my internet is like that . It will get better in 1 week when I get back home.

Last edited:
So, I updated drivers yesterday and nothing happened. I forgot to mention that my laptop uses the intel graphics more than nvidia, but The Witcher 3 runs fine, without any freezes.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So, I updated drivers yesterday and nothing happened. I forgot to mention that my laptop uses the intel graphics more than nvidia, but The Witcher 3 runs fine, without and freezes.

Have you configured Witcher 3 to use the NVIDIA card?

No, I have not. I did nothing with the witcher.

For other games I tried these steps:
1. Right click on desktop.
2. Select Nvidia Control panel.
3. Nvidia Control panel will open.
4. Select Manage 3D Settings.
5. You will see two tabs Global Settings and Program Settings.
6. Select Glabal and select High Performance NVIDIA Processor. (This effectively turns off Optimus using the NVIDIA GPU all the time).
7. Or Select Program Settings.
8. Select Add under 1.
9. Find the game you want to white list.
10. Click on Open.
11. Under 2. Select High Performance NVIDIA Processor if not already selected.
12. Select Apply.
13. Job done, time for tea, biscuts and medals.

When I play stalker freezes are not as common but still occur. I haven't tried overwatch yet.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you recently upgraded Windows 10 to version 1803 by using Windows Update?

Yes I did.

Unless it was freezing before you did that upgrade it's entirely possible the upgrade is the problem. Whilst an upgrade in-place (using Windows Update) works for most people, for many it causes all sorts of niggly problems like those you're experiencing. The only solution is a clean install from freshly downloaded media (via the Media Creation Tool).

Before going down that route however, or if it was freezing before the upgrade, it might be worth using DDU ( from here) to uninstall all earlier versions of the graphics driver and then clean install the latest version. Often that sorts these kinds of problems.

I noticed that after turning on VSync or lowering the fps to 60 freezes stop. When I play Overwatch with 100+ fps freezes occur, but when i cap fps to 60 there are no freezes.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I noticed that after turning on VSync or lowering the fps to 60 freezes stop. When I play Overwatch with 100+ fps freezes occur, but when i cap fps to 60 there are no freezes.

Did it freeze like this before you did the Windows Upgrade?

Now I'm confused, you said earlier that you allowed Windows Update to upgrade to version 1803. That's not a small update. :confused:

I got confused my self, I thought that you meant a small update that was released like 2 days ago. I haven't downloaded any big updates. My friend tells me that the freezing problem could be the processors fault

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I got confused my self, I thought that you meant a small update that was released like 2 days ago. I haven't downloaded any big updates. My friend tells me that the freezing problem could be the processors fault

Ah. Then I've been barking up the wrong tree. :)

Apart from Windows updates and the driver updates mentioned in this thread, what other changes have you made to the laptop since you've had it?