M.2 Harddisk cannot extend or make simple volume

rogchi673

I have jusgt installed a new m.2 ssd 550gb to my pc.
I needed to replace the earlier C drive of 250GB. I have managed to clone copy the 250gb to the 500gb but after doing so,
the new harddisk was partition into 2 x 250gb. I tried to extend them but i couldn't error message (There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to completer this operation)
Then i tried to create 'new simple volume' from the unallocated partition, i couldn't, error message (The size of the extent is less than the minimum.

I really need a bigger 500GB c-drive. Please help.

I am not very tech savvy so all help are very much appreciated.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You don't say which tool you used to clone your existing drive, some clone tools are better than others and it's entirely possible that your inability to extend the cloned partition is down to the clone tool. The reason for the error message you see could well be because the partition table on the new M.2 SSD is the same as that from your old 250GB drive and so Disk Management thinks your 500GB drive is only 250GB in size - that would be the fault of the clone tool.

Good clone tools will give you the option to resize the partition when you clone to a bigger disk, but at the very least they should respect the existing partition table.

I think you have two options here...

1. Forget trying to clone the drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows, driver and software onto your new M.2 SSD. I appreciate that you probably don't want to do that but this will give you the most reliable result.

2. Replace your old 250GB drive and use a better cloning tool. I would use Macrium Reflect for this, that will allow you to extend the partition size when you restore the cloned image.