Does the Optimus IX motherboard support dual channel RAM

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
I am just purchasing an Optimus IX and initially had put for 12GB RAM (1x4gb and 1x 8gb)
That's with the NVIDIA 1060 GPU and the 15.6inch screen

Does the motherboard of this laptop even support dual channel and if so will it operate the first 4GB of the 8GB stick in dual channel mode?

If not I might downgrade to 2x 4GB if it will work in dual-channel that way

Any urgent response would be greatly appreciated

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Dual channel can only be used if both RAM sticks are the same size, so 1x4GB and 1x8GB stick will not operate in dual channel mode at all.

2x4GB sticks will operate in dual channel mode (I'm pretty sure that all modern motherboards support it) but that will occupy both RAM slots making a RAM upgrade in the future more expensive.

The difference that dual channel operation makes is significant but not exactly Earth-shattering. In fact you might be hard pushed to see any difference with many applications (and games). What that means is that if you think you're likely to want to upgrade your RAM in the future then installing 1x8GB stick now will give you the additional slot and although you won't be using dual channel mode you probably won't notice much (or any) of a difference.

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Ubuysa,

Thanks for the reply. I had read on many sites today that most motherboards allow the higher capacity RAM to utilise the first 4GB of 8 with the second stick of 4GB in dual channel, with the remaining 4GB in single channel mode.

Are you sure about the above statement?

Many thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi Ubuysa,

Thanks for the reply. I had read on many sites today that most motherboards allow the higher capacity RAM to utilise the first 4GB of 8 with the second stick of 4GB in dual channel, with the remaining 4GB in single channel mode.

Are you sure about the above statement?

Many thanks

I've not heard of that option with dual channel but I'll defer to your research. I do think however that you seem to be expecting too much from the benefits of dual channel mode. If you need 12GB then you have no choice but 1x4GB and 1x8GB whether or not they can operate in dual channel mode, if 8GB will do and you're never going to upgrade from there then 2x4GB will be your best choice, but if 8GB will do now and you may need to upgrade in the future then 1x8GB would be the best choice.

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Ubuysa,

I would add the addendum to the above research that it is usually dependent on having the same brand and speed of RAM (which it would be in this case, otherwise everything runs at the slowest stick's speed) - something called FLEX mode
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...00005657/boards-and-kits.html?wapkw=flex#flex

I am not sure what the motherboard even is on this laptop (is it a clevo chassis like the old Optimus?) or if it supports FLEX

I'm asking now because I'd rather make the decision at purchase given the price difference is +/- £20 (if i go 2x4GB down or 2x8GB up) and I can afford that but didn't really feel it was necessary if I was still going to get some benefit of dual channel RAM with the initial setup.

I feel as though 16GB is probably overkill as the laptop is primarily for gaming but I do use photoshop and some 3D design tools as well from time to time and have browsers and tools in the background when playing games so I thought 12GB would be a happy medium.

Its small margins hence why dual channel would make a difference in terms of decision one way or the other. For £20 to get the dual channel speed would be worth it...but only if I wouldnt be getting dual channel on 8GB of the 12 in the current setup as I dont actually need 16GB but probably do need over 8GB.

If anyone else can give a more firm answer or help to clarify that would be great also

Many thanks

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As above, dual channel isn't really a big deal in gaming the great majority of the time.

Given how expensive RAM is at the moment you may be better off sticking to 1x8gb and adding another 8gb stick in the future.

edit: or just get 16gb outright if you can afford it without compromising the rest of the build.

What is your full prospective spec and budget?

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Oussebon.

I appreciate the gains are likely small (esp. in games) but I do use it for many other things too and for a £20 price difference I do think it would be worth trying to achieve dual channel.

Full build:

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM)
12GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB 1 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

1st Hard Disk NB: I have a good SSD from my old laptop that will replace this but PCS told me I cant order without a HDD.... :(
120GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 320MB/W)

Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)

AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor

Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0

USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Price £989.00 including VAT and delivery. (Wanting to keep under £1000)

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I put a post in replying to above but it says it is awaiting moderation (not sure why)

Many thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
...as I dont actually need 16GB but probably do need over 8GB.

So 12GB is your best option then. :)

Dual channel really only offers a worthwhile benefit to RAM bound applications, it might be noticeable using your 3D design tools but I wouldn't base my RAM selection on dual channel alone.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd probably suggest just biting the bullet and going for 16gb in dual channel rather than "12gb which if the research is right will give me 8gb as dual channel and another 4gb as single channel"

Considering the internet seems full of people saying:

If the mobo supports flex more it should run dual channel until you've used more than 8gb, at which point it will go to single channel.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/902726-dual-channel-different-ram-size/

Technically, if the sticks will play together (a 50/50 possibility) they will run in Flex mode - which equates to 4GB from each stick will run in dual channel mode and the odd 4GB on the 8GB stick will operate in single channel mode which is fine.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3257088/dual-channel-ram-size.html

And these are just the views of random dudes off the internet.

I mean, if you need more than 8gb, presumably you'll want all of that more-than-8gb to run in dual channel.

As you've ruled out 1x8gb only, 2x8gb for 16gb therefore seems to be the only reasonable choice.

Plus if you need over 8gb for your uses now - single channel or dual channel - , it's fairly conceivable you'll benefit from more than 12gb RAM a little way down the line.

8gb + 4gb actually seems to be the worst possible option for you.

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Judging from the replies the mobo probably does support flex but I have opted to add the second 8GB stick for the extra £20
Many thanks all!