Window 10 doesn't boot

Athalberht

Hello.

I have a problema with my new laptop Recoil II that arrived two days ago. It's imposible to boot windows 10. The screen shows the error 0xc000014c and says that windows can't boot.

What y should do to repair the boot?

Thank you.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Has it ever booted?

When you first boot a new laptop or PC you start the OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) environment which allows you to specify local things like logonids, region and timezone, etc. etc. It's not unusual for the OOBE environment to fail resulting in a non-bootable laptop or PC. Is that what's happened to you? Did the first boot (the OOBE) run and fail somehow?

Sadly (and this is a Microsoft issue) it's not usually possible to recover or restart the OOBE once it's failed and a full install of Windows is required. You should have received installation media from PCS, or you can download the latest Windows 10 installation media using the Microsoft tool here. That tool will allow you to make a bootable DVD or USB stick with the very latest version of Windows 10 (obviously you have to do that on a working PC/laptop).

When Windows has finished installing experience has shown that Windows Update almost always finds and installs the best drivers, so keep running Windows Update (and rebooting if necessary) to install all the required drivers and other Windows updates.

Incidentally the 0x14C error is a problem with the boot configuration data which may be the result of the OOBE failure, or some other type of glitch. A full install is still your best way forward.

Last edited:

Athalberht

Hi, ubuysa. Thanks for your answer.

No, it isn't the first boot in my new laptop. In fact, I have already installed new programs and copied documents from my last laptop. This problem happened when I tried to boot my laptop yesterday because I needed to work with it.

I would like to try other alternatives before installing again windows 10 if it were possible.

Thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi, ubuysa. Thanks for your answer.

No, it isn't the first boot in my new laptop. In fact, I have already installed new programs and copied documents from my last laptop. This problem happened when I tried to boot my laptop yesterday because I needed to work with it.

I would like to try other alternatives before installing again windows 10 if it were possible.

Thanks.

Ok, that leads me to ask my favourite question then; what happened immediately prior to your booting problem? If something was working and now it's not then something has changed, often there are clues to what has changed.....

You might want to try the troubleshooting steps here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c000014c/877ac7df-76a9-4dc8-a99b-3b6992dce8f9.