Laptop Warranty and extensions

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Does anyone have any suggestions for good extended laptop warranty providers for once the PCS warranty runs out - I usually get the 1 year parts and return + 3 year labour (silver) as its cheap at £5 but jumps to nearly £70 to get the 2 year warranty. I was hoping to future-proof any new purchase provided the cost is reasonable (i.e not more than ~25% the cost of replacing the laptop over approx 3 years cover)

I have heard you can get electronic good warranties for single items for cheaper which essentially offer the same service and would be keen to hear anyone's views/opinions. This is for any laptop/PC of approx £1000 value.

Is there a hardware warranty for any of the components which lasts longer? Specifically my old laptop with a GeForce 960M is causing recurrent BSOD which only occurs when the GPU is enabled in device manager and nvidia drivers installed but it is just out of the 2 year PCS warranty, but I cant find any information if that part/that and motherboard combined comes with a hardware warranty or not which potentially means we could claim that from the manufacturer instead of shelling for a whole new Mobo/GPU replacement

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
There is a school of thought that goes with the idea that a part which has a slight defect and is likely to fail will do so quicker rather than later, most likely within a year. If you go with this the Silver Warranty is a good idea and, as you say, very good value but if parts are working well after the first year it is less likely they will go and further warranty could be a waste of money. It is a risk but one I am happy to take.

I am not sure how hardware warranties work but your GPU will be soldered in and not easily replaceable, so it may need a full laptop warranty to protect it.

szico_vii

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the input - I do usually get the silver as it seems to represent best value for money given the cost of return is £25 otherwise on the bronze cover.

Both my previous 2x laptops from PCS have lasted 4 years and then been sold on still in working condition

But the most recent one from 2016 clearly has developed a GPU fault and although it is *probably* time to replace anyway as the 960M is a bit pants I had been wondering if I could get it repaired/fixed on the hardware guarantee and also it has made me a bit more cautious about the cover on the new laptop I am considering purchasing, as I can manage a new laptop every 4 years at £1000 (~£250 year to save) but is more of a challenge to replace every 2 years (£500 to save yearly)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Extended warranties are just a form of insurance, so how useful/important they are to you is a matter of risk. I agree with Stephen M that, in general, stuff that's going to fail will usually fail in the first year and if nothing fails you're probably good for another couple of years at least.

And don't forget that you still have a 3 year labour warranty which means if you did want to replace that 960M you'd only have to pay for the part and the carriage. Is it worth buying additional insurance (extended warranty) just to cover the cost of parts (I doubt any extended warranty would include carriage) on the off-chance of a failure??

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
ou'd only have to pay for the part and the carriage.
Although as above, since the GPU is soldered onto the mobo, the parts cost would very possibly be prohibitively expensive. Since replacing it means replacing the expensive parts of the laptop.

I'm not saying that an extended warranty is worth it, just that the labour warranty will only go so far in helping with costs should something fail. It's fairly unlikely the GPU will kick it any time soon.

Last edited: