BSOD - ntoskrnl.exe+9e20f

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think that is the fundamental disagreement between us. There should be nothing special about system upgrades i.e, going from 1709 to 1803. As far as Windows is concerned you'll be installing an update like any other, with changes to binary blobs, configuration files and other data. All of which must be reversible cleanly.

Ah, now I see where you're coming from.

If you think back to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 going from one to the other was clearly an upgrade, for one thing you usually had to pay for it. I forget now when it first became possible to 'upgrade in place' and install a new version of Windows from the exiting version, keeping your installed third party programs (I think it was Vista), but it's never worked well for everyone and for decades the wise have been recommending a clean install for an upgrade to a new version.

With Windows 10 Microsoft changed the way Windows was delivered, introducing the concept of 'Windows as a service'. This, I believe, was the start of a process to make Windows effectively free, Microsoft would then make money from the apps and services that ran on it. This is why, once you have a Windows 10 license, future versions can be had for free. That the upgrades to Windows 10 are new versions is undeniable; they each have a different version number for example (1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803) and even different names (Anniversary, Creator's, Fall Creator's, April 2018), they each bring new functionality to the OS, and each new version can be clean installed.

This is very different to the standard update process where fixes are being supplied to an existing version, but which don't change the version number. All updates should be installed, there is no good reason not to.

The main reason I suspect why upgrading in place is such a lottery is that so many people (and especially businesses) are running software developed for Windows XP (or Vista or 7) on the basis that it's still working so why change? However, over the intervening years there have been huge strides in the services the OS can offer and how it manages the applications and the hardware, in addition the hardware has grown in leaps and bounds. There are new hardware services; in memory management, in symmetric multiprocessing, in bus speeds (and type), in new CPU instructions, the change from 32-bit to 64-bit, and a host of others. Windows has changed to support and exploit these new hardware features and changes and to deliver faster and improved system and application performance and management, as well as new user interfaces and user functionality. This all has to be done with an eye to these 'legacy' (mostly 32-bit) applications to ensure (where possible) that they will continue to run unmodified - and that's a much bigger challenge than you might imagine.

On top of all that is the way in which many legacy applications were written. Those (possibly like the anti-virus you mention later) often use 'hooks' directly in to (possibly) undocumented (but fairly well known) components of the OS, the development of standard APIs for all user code is a relatively recent development. Where drivers are concerned it's an even bigger problem because drivers run in kernel mode so an incompatibility there can have catastrophic consequences. Older drivers may not have been quite as elegantly written as today's drivers must be, again potentially using undocumented features of the OS, and yet customers expect Windows to continue to support all legacy hardware as well as legacy software.

In this respect Windows has been a victim of its own phenomenal success, so much program code and legacy hardware is still out there, and Microsoft have no idea how much or of what type. I'm quite certain that an upgrade in place on a system running only modern hardware and modern software works very well, the problems come when the upgrade in place process meets software, drivers, or older hardware that it knows nothing about. Quite how the upgrade process deals with these I have no idea, but garbage in garbage out still holds true today. This is why a clean install of an upgrade is always a wise move.

The fact that Microsoft lets user upgrade to a new feature release but you chose not to do so indicates that you do not trust that Microsoft can provide updates to a system that won't break it. There is no technical guarantee that a normal Windows update will not break the system any less than a Windows upgrade. The risk increases exponentially typically by the amount of code changes i.e., the small updates have less, but not zero risk.

It is an unfortunate fact that Microsoft have continued with the (known to be problematic) upgrade in place process. The problem for them of course is that users don't want to have to manage their PC, they just want it to work, so a mechanism that lets them upgrade and keep everything they had is attractive. The trouble is that it runs into the legacy issues I mentioned above. On top of that, users who have used tune-up tools, registry cleaners and the like, or those who follow some of the bad advice on the Internet, or who mess when they don't really know what they're doing, may well have a 'damaged' OS even though it still appears to function - an upgrade in place on a system that is already in trouble is likely to result in problems.

It's an even bigger problem that they have chosen to use the Windows Update process to deliver upgrades as well, though I suspect this is all part of the 'Windows as a service' ethos, because it confuses the normal update process (which must be done) with the upgrade process (which is better done as a clean install).

I've already given you an example (devicecensus.exe) of how an update will break the system, even from a clean state. I do not use third-party tuning software or the likes, yet a clean Windows installation followed by installing the latest updates broke this.

And I've already given you several examples (right back to Windows XP) where my system has never been broken by a clean install. I did spend some time yesterday trying to remember how many Windows updates I've had issues with over all these years and it can't be more than three or four, and none of them was serious or unmanageable. I have never ever had an issue after clean installing any version of Windows (including all versions of Windows 10).

Another example, although I didn't directly experience this: one of the updates in January 2018 in an attempt to mitigate the Spectre/Meltdown issue rendered many systems unbootable. It was due to a 3rd-party antivirus software. Microsoft subsequently introduced a patch that will prevent the system from ever receiving this fix until you set a registry entry. This article might be relevant: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windo...check-if-your-av-is-blocking-microsoft-patch/.

You make my point for me here. The root cause was not Windows, Microsoft, nor the update process. The fault was in a third party anti-virus product - and yet you blame Microsoft!

Indeed, this was due to a third-party software but I want to *heavily* emphasise that it happens because Windows does not have a proper package/dependency management system. All changes to the system (whether they come from Windows update/upgrades, drivers or installing/running 3rd-party software) are permanent and some of them are irreversible. With a package manager you'll be informed of when/how an update might introduce incompatibilities e.g., due to a system file having been replaced with an unexpected version by more than 1 packages.

Wrong. It happens because legacy software developers were nowhere near as 'elegant' as they are today. OS 'hooks' were a regular feature of lots of legacy system-type software (like security packages) and even user mode code didn't always follow the guidelines. Today for example you cannot get a driver installed into Windows 10 unless it's digitally signed by Microsoft, and that's to help eliminate the earlier more cavalier approach to writing Windows software. You don't need a 'package manager' if all software uses only the published APIs.

The reason I keep bringing up Linux is because most Linux distros are package-managed and downgrading will bring the system back to the previous state cleanly. With Windows & Mac OS you cannot be certain that downgrading will do the same. I have moved back to Windows after 13 years of using Linux due to the lack of native software that I need so I'm fully aware of its limitations and am prepared to deal with other disadvantages of using Windows (namely security & stability).

I get it that you like Linux. Good for you. But talking about Linux here is like me asking you how to best peel an apple and you telling me to eat an orange instead.

I hope I've made myself clear that I choose to disallow interim Windows updates completely because I want to avoid both the hassle of the occasional breakages (hours of investigation) and the complete reinstallation of the system every 6-18 months (that typically takes me at least 1 week).

It takes me less than a day to clean install a new version of Windows 10 and have all my third party software and configurations installed and done. I simply don't recognise the hassle of which you talk. If you're doing an upgrade in place then that's probably unwise, a clean install each time there is a new version of Windows 10 is much more reliable. And you completely miss the point with your dangerous advice to disable updates, the way to avoid issues is to manage your PC/laptop properly, advising people to disable updates which (no matter what you think of the EULA) is illegal under the license terms, undocumented (in Home versions) and unwise, is not a solution it's a workaround - it addresses the symptoms and not the cause.

Last edited:

fnf

Silver Level Poster
Ah, now I see where you're coming from.

If you think back to Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 going from one to the other was clearly an upgrade, for one thing you usually had to pay for it. I forget now when it first became possible to 'upgrade in place' and install a new version of Windows from the exiting version, keeping your installed third party programs (I think it was Vista), but it's never worked well for everyone and for decades the wise have been recommending a clean install for an upgrade to a new version.

<snipped as my post became too long>
On top of all that is the way in which many legacy applications were written. Those (possibly like the anti-virus you mention later) often use 'hooks' directly in to (possibly) undocumented (but fairly well known) components of the OS, the development of standard APIs for all user code is a relatively recent development. Where drivers are concerned it's an even bigger problem because drivers run in kernel mode so an incompatibility there can have catastrophic consequences. Older drivers may not have been quite as elegantly written as today's drivers must be, again potentially using undocumented features of the OS, and yet customers expect Windows to continue to support all legacy hardware as well as legacy software.

In this respect Windows has been a victim of its own phenomenal success, so much program code and legacy hardware is still out there, and Microsoft have no idea how much or of what type. I'm quite certain that an upgrade in place on a system running only modern hardware and modern software works very well, the problems come when the upgrade in place process meets software, drivers, or older hardware that it knows nothing about. Quite how the upgrade process deals with these I have no idea, but garbage in garbage out still holds true today. This is why a clean install of an upgrade is always a wise move.

It is an unfortunate fact that Microsoft have continued with the (known to be problematic) upgrade in place process. The problem for them of course is that users don't want to have to manage their PC, they just want it to work, so a mechanism that lets them upgrade and keep everything they had is attractive. The trouble is that it runs into the legacy issues I mentioned above. On top of that, users who have used tune-up tools, registry cleaners and the like, or those who follow some of the bad advice on the Internet, or who mess when they don't really know what they're doing, may well have a 'damaged' OS even though it still appears to function - an upgrade in place on a system that is already in trouble is likely to result in problems.

It's an even bigger problem that they have chosen to use the Windows Update process to deliver upgrades as well, though I suspect this is all part of the 'Windows as a service' ethos, because it confuses the normal update process (which must be done) with the upgrade process (which is better done as a clean install).

And I've already given you several examples (right back to Windows XP) where my system has never been broken by a clean install. I did spend some time yesterday trying to remember how many Windows updates I've had issues with over all these years and it can't be more than three or four, and none of them was serious or unmanageable. I have never ever had an issue after clean installing any version of Windows (including all versions of Windows 10).

You make my point for me here. The root cause was not Windows, Microsoft, nor the update process. The fault was in a third party anti-virus product - and yet you blame Microsoft!

Wrong. It happens because legacy software developers were nowhere near as 'elegant' as they are today. OS 'hooks' were a regular feature of lots of legacy system-type software (like security packages) and even user mode code didn't always follow the guidelines. Today for example you cannot get a driver installed into Windows 10 unless it's digitally signed by Microsoft, and that's to help eliminate the earlier more cavalier approach to writing Windows software. You don't need a 'package manager' if all software uses only the published APIs.
I don't disagree that a clean install is always best regardless of which operating system you're using. However if you consider the existence of a package manager in Windows, an upgrade (even coming from Windows 3.1) would be easily doable by disabling all third-party software/drivers that conflict with Windows, until explicitly re-enabled by user.

Yes, it's that simple. It is, however, impossible to do in Windows/Mac OS because there is no package manager that has the knowledge of which software/drivers are responsible for which system files. The entire system is a free playground for all software (including Windows itself) to do as they please.

Conceding to always do a clean installation is not the same as agreeing a Windows upgrade is a special process. It is special because of how badly Windows was implemented without a thought about existing users and how acceptant Windows users have come to be.

With a package manager, a system is comprised of a set of packages including but not limited to:
* The kernel
* Drivers
* Applications/services
A third-party can override any of these elements, however as the package manager knows which files are owned by which package: the entire system can be upgraded and those third-party software can easily be disabled. Effectively you have a clean installation i.e., only Windows components are operational.
Crucially, the existence of a package manager lets you uninstall any software and revert the system to the same state before installation of said software.

I touched on how Mac OS's lack of a package manager makes it suffer from problematic just as Windows. However, the vast majority of applications are sandboxed into its own directory so it is slightly better in this regards. Only drivers are problematic.

I get it that you like Linux. Good for you. But talking about Linux here is like me asking you how to best peel an apple and you telling me to eat an orange instead.
It is an aspect of Linux that I definitely would want to see happening in Windows and it indeed has been happening in the form of UWP. However it still only applies to applications. Drivers and legacy apps which are much more intrusive are still entirely unmanaged.

It takes me less than a day to clean install a new version of Windows 10 and have all my third party software and configurations installed and done. I simply don't recognise the hassle of which you talk.
This is another big difference between ourselves. I can do a clean installation in 20 minutes and have all my applications in place in an hour or so but there is absolutely no way for me to reconfigure the system and the applications back to the way they were before in less than a week.

There is a difference between setting up a system to make it workable vs. setting up a system to make it the way it was before. The former I can probably get it done in 2 hours, however to make sure that all the pieces are in place where I expect them to be I do need to go through every single options presented in the interface and change what I want. Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere Pro alone will take me 3-4 hours to configure. Windows itself will take me about a day. I run Web servers & database which also take time to reconfigure. Visual Studio is also a beast, I could go on.

If you're doing an upgrade in place then that's probably unwise, a clean install each time there is a new version of Windows 10 is much more reliable. And you completely miss the point with your dangerous advice to disable updates, the way to avoid issues is to manage your PC/laptop properly, advising people to disable updates which (no matter what you think of the EULA) is illegal under the license terms, undocumented (in Home versions) and unwise, is not a solution it's a workaround - it addresses the symptoms and not the cause.
I beg to differ, I did mention several times that when doing what I suggested one must know that he is trading security for stability. To minimise unwanted changes to the system which, as I mentioned, is a playground for everything in Windows to do with as they please: it is best not to install any interim updates which are less well-tested.

A clean installation every 6-12 months is a workaround and is quite unacceptable for someone who is used to have system uptime nearly as long (when I was still using Linux I was used to reboot once every 6-8 months). I also mentioned that my Arch Linux installation is 8 years old and is up-to-date.

I understand that you don't mind a clean installation. I like clean installations too but it is simply not an option that I'd like to take due to the time it takes to reconfigure. I don't think any system admin will agree with you that he could reconfigure a system in a day, particularly when several servers are involved.

Windows 10 1803 is my first Windows installation in years. When I first installed it recently I thought that only installing Windows-approved drivers and keeping the system up-to-date will avoid any kinds of issues but I quickly ran into the devicecensus.exe crash issue. That was an annoyance, not a deal breaker but it destroyed my hopes of simply upgrading the system when the next version comes around if I keep letting Windows making unwanted system changes.

Mashril

Bronze Level Poster
Okay, so, just installed Windows 10 and got my drivers up to date and got Monster Hunter installed, gonna not install anything else now and see how long I can go without a BSOD if I do get one again I'll gonna backup the minidump and see if I can get it analysed somehow, but hopefully that won't happen!

EDIT: Also really pleased at how long it took, the whole ordeal only took about 40mins, I was dreading it since I can remember what its like installing Windows 7 from fresh and spending at least 3 hours downloading updates. :wacko:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Okay, so, just installed Windows 10 and got my drivers up to date and got Monster Hunter installed, gonna not install anything else now and see how long I can go without a BSOD if I do get one again I'll gonna backup the minidump and see if I can get it analysed somehow, but hopefully that won't happen!

EDIT: Also really pleased at how long it took, the whole ordeal only took about 40mins, I was dreading it since I can remember what its like installing Windows 7 from fresh and spending at least 3 hours downloading updates. :wacko:

Many apologies for the hijack of your thread. :eek:

You can upload the dump to here if you like, there are several of us on here who can analyse it for you.

Personally I think it's worthwhile doing a full reinstall every now and then. As mentioned earlier, I always clean install each new version of Windows 10 as they are released. Not only does this get you the safest upgrade, and clean out a lot of garbage that you've probably built up, but it gets you valuable experience at doing a resinstall. That's never a bad thing IMO. :)

Mashril

Bronze Level Poster
Many apologies for the hijack of your thread. :eek:

You can upload the dump to here if you like, there are several of us on here who can analyse it for you.

Personally I think it's worthwhile doing a full reinstall every now and then. As mentioned earlier, I always clean install each new version of Windows 10 as they are released. Not only does this get you the safest upgrade, and clean out a lot of garbage that you've probably built up, but it gets you valuable experience at doing a resinstall. That's never a bad thing IMO. :)

Don't worry about it :)

Excellent :)

Well, from now on I think its a good idea to do just that when big Windows 10 things come out but just gotta wait till drivers are up to date since thats my main worry now :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, from now on I think its a good idea to do just that when big Windows 10 things come out but just gotta wait till drivers are up to date since thats my main worry now :D

If your system is running normally and well then you can stop worrying about drivers. :)

Unlike Windows or other application software, drivers don't need updating on a regular basis. It's not necessary for example, to always upgrade to the latest version of a driver. The only times you need to install the latest driver version is...

1. If you are having issues with a device then installing the latest driver is always the best first step. Your problem may well have been solved in the latest driver update and anyone else helping you with a device problem will expect you to have installed the latest driver as a first step.

2. If a new driver introduces additional functionality that you need, then you should upgrade to the latest version. Graphics drivers very often include new functionality for certain games and the like so it's quite common to need to upgrade your graphics driver. It's quite rare to see new functionality introduced into drivers for other devices however, though it's not impossible of course.

With drivers in particular the old adage of 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' very much applies.

BTW. The same guidelines above applies to your BIOS, it's not necessary to keep updating that, and for the same reasons.

Mashril

Bronze Level Poster
Hello there just a quick update, I got a BSOD earlier while unplugging my USB soundblaster card with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. BlueScreen view says ntoskrnl.sys again. But I ran whocrashed and checked, it was ksaud.sys as the actual file which is my soundblaster USB. Other than that just now, thats the only problem I've had since I reinstalled Windows. I would like to upload my minidump but not sure how exactly.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ksaud.sys is a driver and drivers are linked into ntoskrnl.sys (the Windows kernel) so this BSOD is 99% caused by a driver - and most probably your SoundBlaster driver from what you've discovered. I doubt analysing the dump would help you any more.

Get the latest version of the driver for your SoundBlaster kit from the Creative website (and nowhere else), uninstall the old driver, reboot, and then install the new driver. Some USB devices require the drver installed before the device is plugged in and others need the device plugged in before the driver is installed. Read the instructions for your SoundBlaster kit to be sure you know how to properly install the driver.

Mashril

Bronze Level Poster
ksaud.sys is a driver and drivers are linked into ntoskrnl.sys (the Windows kernel) so this BSOD is 99% caused by a driver - and most probably your SoundBlaster driver from what you've discovered. I doubt analysing the dump would help you any more.

Get the latest version of the driver for your SoundBlaster kit from the Creative website (and nowhere else), uninstall the old driver, reboot, and then install the new driver. Some USB devices require the drver installed before the device is plugged in and others need the device plugged in before the driver is installed. Read the instructions for your SoundBlaster kit to be sure you know how to properly install the driver.

I was at work thinking about it, wondering if that is what caused it all the times before too, I never don't have my soundblaster plugged in, thing is its so old that the drivers I have are the latest ones, I am upgrading to a new DAC and headphones in November, one that isn't SoundBlaster so I'll just leave it as it is for now, I will check for drivers but yeah, its a shame that my minidump before I formatted disappeared, I'd loved to have ran that through "WhoCrashed" and see what the driver was, for some reason BlueScreenView doesn't tell me oither than ntoskrnl.sys