Novice looking for a gaming spec (best possible)

f1nno

Good Evening folks I am relatively new to PC gaming having played consoles all my life, I have got a pretty basic laptop and really enjoy it, to a point I now want to buy a desktop for the home.

I want the best possible performance, looking to spend around £3000 quid, maybe a bit more if it’s worth it. I have looked at the Vortex 3000 which is an i9 with the 1080Ti which I believe is the best available.

I want to game on ultra and 1440p with the highest possible FPS, is the Vortex a good option or is it best to purchase a high end i7? Not really clued up yet on this sort of stuff so looking for some advice if possible. Is 1 graphics card suitable, or would 2 be better?

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good Evening folks I am relatively new to PC gaming having played consoles all my life, I have got a pretty basic laptop and really enjoy it, to a point I now want to buy a desktop for the home.

I want the best possible performance, looking to spend around £3000 quid, maybe a bit more if it’s worth it. I have looked at the Vortex 3000 which is an i9 with the 1080Ti which I believe is the best available.

I want to game on ultra and 1440p with the highest possible FPS, is the Vortex a good option or is it best to purchase a high end i7? Not really clued up yet on this sort of stuff so looking for some advice if possible. Is 1 graphics card suitable, or would 2 be better?

Thanks

I would wait just over a week as Nvidia are releasing the next gen graphics cards which will be more powerful for cheaper cost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would you recommend waiting as I was planning on possibly getting a Titan XP, will the new cards be better?

Yes, by miles and they’ll adopt a new shading technology called ray tracing which severely improves shading and lighting effects.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The best option currently would seem to be the i7 8700k
JSPqQENb5AWX7fZjTWzbuS-650-80.png

But it would be very, very prudent to wait for reviews of the 2000 series graphics cards to be out. Since right now all we have are some vague claims by nvidia as to their performance, and it would probably make sense to get reviews from professional and enthusiast hardware sites before dropping £1000+ on a GPU without knowing what it really is :)

Plus PC's prices for the new GPUs are very high right now and it would be worth waiting to see if those even out a bit.

What's the exact model of monitor you use btw?

f1nno

Cool there’s a ready made 1 called the Vulcan RTX Pro, would you change anything to that, maybe RAM as it’s only 2400MHZ?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Honestly, don't even think about buying it before reviews are out. Don't spend £2000+ on a PC when you literally don't know what you're buying :)

It would be a £2.4k mystery box :/

Also PCS's prices for the RTX GPU are ~£300 more than some other sources at the moment.

Plus that spec has slow RAM and a slow SSD. And a £55 case for a £2.4k build...

f1nno

Honestly, don't even think about buying it before reviews are out. Don't spend £2000+ on a PC when you literally don't know what you're buying :)

It would be a £2.4k mystery box :/

Also PCS's prices for the RTX GPU are ~£300 more than some other sources at the moment.

Plus that spec has slow RAM and a slow SSD. And a £55 case for a £2.4k build...

Ok I will hold off for now see what the fuss is about, maybe even buy a 1080ti if they reduce as I’m not exactly a competative gamer and upgrade it next year, decisions!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The prices might reduce a bit. TBH the 2080 (non-ti) might be the best fit. As you should be able to end up getting it for little more than the 1080 ti, while it should offer more performance, and have more advanced features as above. Still, we shall see :)