Middleclass gaminglaptop

Fantasy

Hi,

I'm looking for a middle class gaming laptop. It should be also good for transportation, because I'll need em also for university-stuff (travelling with trade).
The laptop should be good for MMO's aswell as smooth running for PUBG and such games.

I'm not sure about the size, 15.6'' might be a bit big for carrying around but isn't 13'' to small? My suggestion for this one is also based on the thickness which is a lot less then other gaming-laptops.

I tied to make some decisions but I don't have enough knowledge to say if this is the right for me.

Can you give me any suggestions?

Thanks

laptop.PNG

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It should be also good for transportation, because I'll need em also for university-stuff (travelling with trade).
It should also give you reminders to move to a good school catchment area, and have pop up notifications of when it's time to drizzle the olive oil over the roasted fennel. As any good middle class laptop would. *cough*

Cheap jokes aside, what is your budget? And how much did the above cost?

Will you be using this for anything other than gaming? if so, what? What specific software and uses? multiple VMs? Doing what? :)

It will help advise. For gaming uses, 32gb RAM is a complete waste, and you could save on the storage as well if you wanted.

Fantasy

It should also give you reminders to move to a good school catchment area, and have pop up notifications of when it's time to drizzle the olive oil over the roasted fennel. As any good middle class laptop would. *cough*
:smartass::winkiss:

My budget is around 1'500Euro +-.

This setup would cost 1681CHF = 1485Euro.

I will use it for office stuff (University) as well as videoediting (Magix Video Deluxe and Vegas Pro). For work I will need it for 3D-modeling CAD progamm (Solid Works 2017) which includes rendering.

why is 32gb RAM a complete waste and if i only run a SSD without a HDD, shouldn't it be around that storage size?

Thank you for your advise.:yes:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For gaming there is 0 merit to more than 16gb RAM. The difference between 8gb and 16gb for gaming performance is tiny to non-existent. 32gb won't help now, and it won't help in the future either because when games get more demanding the CPU and GPU will be the bottlenecks long before the RAM quantity can become an issue.

There's some possibility that your non-gaming uses might benefit from it, but it would depend on what you were doing and the benefits may be nowhere close to proportionate to the cost.

As for the storage, I'm sure you will likely want ~1TB storage. However, it's debatable whether a 1TB SSD is good value versus a smaller SSD for the OS, programs, active work projects, and favourite games, and an HDD for the rest.
An alternative would be a 500gb (or even 250gb) 970 Evo M.2 SSD which has much higher speeds and IOPS, and a 1TB 7200rpm HDD for mass storage.

Fantasy

alright. I have placed the parts like you suggested.

The price dropped down to 1350Euro.

laptop2.PNG

would you go with this one?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That seems like a sound spec to me.

If the dead pixel guarantee applies to Switzerland I might consider that too when purchasing any laptop, as while the risk is fairly low these things would personally bug me.

Be aware that PCS will apparently start selling the Recoil with a 180W adapter rather than a 150W adapter, which some people are saying could improve performance while the system is under heavy load. You may want to enquire with PCS about this. If they will have it soon, you might want to hold off, if it will be a while perhaps they will make it available / sell it as an upgrade in the future.

Fantasy

I have added a dead pixel guarantee for 1 year for 20Euro.

So the final price is 1370Euro.

Thank you very much for the help! :)