Backup embedded XP using USB and external HD

zillah2004

Dear Expert

The picture below for a computer box that has embedded XP that is used for with wood cutting machine.

https://imgur.com/a/xIZde5z

Machine similar (not same) to this :

https://woodzon.com/woodtech-machinery-combined-planner-wt-101

Last week OS XP stuffed up and we had to wait one week to be fixed

Now it is working fine

What a backup program (run from USB) can I use to create an image for the existing OS to be restored in case of emergency

I prefer to use a rescue USB and external hard drive to store backuped image ??

Thx

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
XP Embedded is binary-compatible with "normal" Windows XP, by which I mean that it's basically the same as Windows XP that you could go out and buy.

It tends to have differences such as enhanced write filters that mean changes are lost on reboot unless the filter is disabled.

One other difference you may need to be careful of is that XPe tends to have a reduced driver set so you might want to check what USB memory sticks and HDD's are compatible.

It also means, that as Ubuysa points out though, that the above software should be absolutely fine to use. If you need to reinstall it, remember you might need to turn off the write filter I mentioned above to install it to make the bootable rescue USB stick.

The steps for this are something akin to:

1. Assuming automatic login for a non-administrator account (again normal for XPe), the usual way to log in as an administrator is to click log off whilst holding down the Shift key. Note it may be different and you will likely need to find the administrator password.

2. Find the command for your specific device that turns off the write filter

3. Reboot <-- this is really important

4. Repeat step 1

5. Install Macrium. This would be a good time to install any Windows updates too.

6. Reboot

7. Repeat step 1

8. Re-enable the write filter - this is again really important

9. Macrium Reflect should be installed and you can make your rescue media.