wifi problem

Peet

Hi everyone.

since a few days my connection is weak. I tried with different router but the problem is the same so i think it's a card problem. I tried to reinstall the driver as well but no result.

What should i do please?

Thanks
Pierre

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
What's the system? If it's a desktop, is it new? If so, did you connect the antennae?

Is it possible to try with a cabled connection to your router?

Does another device such as a phone have the same issue in the same location?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
WiFi is very susceptible to interference so the first question to ask is 'what changed a few days ago'? If it was working ok and now it's not then something has changed - so what changed? New house phone, new mobile phone, new microwave, new TV, new (any electronic item)?

Try moving the PC, even temporarily, and see whether things get better. You might also download the free version of InSSIDer3 from https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html. This will do a site survey for you and show you what nearby hotspots are on the same channel as you. It's possible that a neighbour has recently installed a new wireless router and it's interfering with yours. All routers come using either channels 1, 6 or 11 so interference is a common problem. Use inSSIDer3 to find the channel that is used the least in your neighbourhood and change your router to use that channel.

Peet

thank you.

it's a laptop defiance 3. Windows 10.
my phone and my wife's laptop does not have the same issue, the receive a strong connection. I tried with a cable and when i do a speed test the connection is double with the cable.
I used to have 4 full bars wireless signal and now just little 2
Nothing change in my habits.

Thank you
Pierre

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
thank you.

it's a laptop defiance 3. Windows 10.
my phone and my wife's laptop does not have the same issue, the receive a strong connection. I tried with a cable and when i do a speed test the connection is double with the cable.
I used to have 4 full bars wireless signal and now just little 2
Nothing change in my habits.

Thank you
Pierre

Have you tried to reboot the wifi router?

Has Windows updated recently? Particularly to a new build?

Peet

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
ok my mistake, i had several updates on August, strange because i was aboard with no internet connection. anyway my update history shows these updates while i had no internet
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...or-windows-10-version-1803-and-windows-server
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4343909/windows-10-update-kb4343909
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4343902/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

i struggle to find the driver on the Clevo website.

thanks
Pierre

Windows will download the updates in the background so when they were installed isn't necessarily the same thing as when they were downloaded.

From your original order, what is the WiFi card in your laptop?

Peet

GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1535 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 4.1
is that you need ?

Peet

i have installed this driver from Killer website. the one in Clevo website is different?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
i have installed this driver from Killer website. the one in Clevo website is different?

The main difference is likely to be the age of the driver, is all. I'd expect the Killer site to have the newest whereas that's not usually the case on the Clevo site.

Peet

should i removed the old driver and then reinstall the new one?
Plus, i wonder if the problem doesn't come from the hub

Peet

ok, i thought by router you meant 'device', sorry. no i don't have another hub to try.
But i'm going to make a deeper test by using this technic with 2 different computers CMD(start>run>cmd) and type ping -t www.google.com

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok, i thought by router you meant 'device', sorry. no i don't have another hub to try.
But i'm going to make a deeper test by using this technic with 2 different computers CMD(start>run>cmd) and type ping -t www.google.com

That just tells you if you’re connected to the internet, it doesn’t tell you much about speed issues.

Peet

hi back,

i finally could made some test to compare with my older laptop.
Old laptop: signal: 4 bars on 4. test online: ping: 5ms ; Download: 51.58mbps, Upload 9.27Mpbs
My Defiance: signal: 2 bars on 4. test online: ping: 10ms; download 17.92Mbps, upload 9.13Mbps

So it looks it's not a hub problem but from the laptop. I already tried to to install the driver on the Killernetworking website but still the same problem.

i hope the wifi card is not damaged

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I suggest that first off you explain what you mean by 'hub'. There should be only two devices involved; your laptop and your wireless router. If you're using range extenders and the like you need to test without any other devices except the laptop and the wireless router.

The laptop needs to be in line of sight (i.e not behind walls) and withing a coupe of meters of the wireless router. Only then can you start to properly troubleshoot.

Peet

thank you
by hub i mean the router.
I made the test with two laptop but not at the same time. The idea to make a test with two laptop was to know if the problem is from the laptop or the router. but the test on the second laptop shows good results.
The test have been done in line of sight.

should i uninstall the wireless drivers? how to do that exactly?

Thank you again