wifi problem

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thank you
by hub i mean the router.
I made the test with two laptop but not at the same time. The idea to make a test with two laptop was to know if the problem is from the laptop or the router. but the test on the second laptop shows good results.
The test have been done in line of sight.

should i uninstall the wireless drivers? how to do that exactly?

Thank you again

So...we know that the router is not the problem because your second laptop works ok with it and thus the problem is with the first laptop.

Go to Device Manager (right-click on the 'start' icon and select Device Manager from the popup menu), expand the Network Adapters section and right-click on your wireless card. Select Update Driver from the menu and in the window that opens click Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software, this may take a while. If the automatic search comes back with a better driver then install it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thanks
it says the best drivers are already installed

In that case go back into Device Manager > Network Adapters and right-click on your wireless adapter again, this time select Uninstall Device. If you are asked whether you want to remove the driver answer Yes. Then reboot.

When Windows starts go back into Device Manager > Network Adapters and right-click on your wireless adapter again, click Update Driver again and if it finds a driver then install it (if it doesn't then the right driver is already installed).

I note from your first post that this problem has been happening 'for a few days'. Does that mean your wifi on this laptop used to be ok? If so you need to figure out what happened just before it got worse. It could be a hardware change, a software change, or indeed any kind of change.

Peet

done, but the problem is still here

in a previous post a put some windows updates the computer has done. but nothing from the hardware.
Could happen the wireless card get damaged?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
done, but the problem is still here

It was worth a try. :)

in a previous post a put some windows updates the computer has done. but nothing from the hardware.
Could happen the wireless card get damaged?

Sorry I forgot you'd said that.

Was your wifi good before those updates? If so then back those updates out and see whether your wifi issue disappears.

chaplic

So, in summary windows-wise it looks like the WiFi driver/ card is happy, it's just getting poor reception?

The Wifi card has two aerial connections that probably go into the screen bit of the laptop. They are fiddly to get on. What's the chances one of them has come off?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So, in summary windows-wise it looks like the WiFi driver/ card is happy, it's just getting poor reception?

The Wifi card has two aerial connections that probably go into the screen bit of the laptop. They are fiddly to get on. What's the chances one of them has come off?

It's a laptop.

chaplic

It's a laptop.

Yep. Still has aerial connections though

Capture.PNG

The 1 and 2 I've circled here are attached to cables which usually go into the laptop lid. Speaking as someone who has disturbed them in the past when putting in RAM etc. Matches the symptoms.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yep. Still has aerial connections though

View attachment 12109

The 1 and 2 I've circled here are attached to cables which usually go into the laptop lid. Speaking as someone who has disturbed them in the past when putting in RAM etc. Matches the symptoms.

Ah, fair enough. Now now I see what you're getting at. It is possible one could have come loose, but they are such a tight fit that it's unlikely, in any case getting to the wireless card can sometimes be tricky on laptops and the OP hasn't mentioned opening the case up at all. :)

Peet

i still have the same problem.

can i check the aerial connection of the wireless card without breaking the warranty?

Stephen M

Author Level
That will be OK. PCs allow us to open and work on their machines without voiding the warranty, obviously any damage we do is not covered but than is unlikely to happen.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thank you
i removed the updates but the problem is still here.
There is this update i can't uninstal (but this update is dated on 27th July (my problem arrived around 29 August)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...or-windows-10-version-1803-and-windows-server

i could try to reinstall all windows. then if that doesn't work my computer is still on warranty

In your position that's what I'd be doing now (a reinstall of Windows). That update you can't install is a Spectre mitigation update and it should install. I don't believe in coincidences and I don't believe that it's likely you have two unrelated problems at the same time, so my bet is that there is a Windows or driver issue that is best solved by a clean install.

That said, it is worth checking the antenna connectors, though personally I think that's a long short given that you have updates issues as well. Get an electrostatic discharge strap (like these) before you open up your laptop.