Windows 7 - 10 free upgrade still appears to work!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So just for giggles I was playing around with an old Windows 7 VM I had lying around.

Bearing in mind this VM has not been powered on since around the middle of 2012...

I wondered what'd happen if I did the in-place upgrade as I've been hearing talk that even though the free upgrade periods have ended (including the "extended-extension" for users with accessibility requirements), that the activation process still works.

So I did an in-place upgrade from the official MS site and lo' and behold as part of the upgrade process, it went off and activated the copy.

Windows 7:

Before.png

Windows 10:

After.png

Of course, your mileage may vary, MS may turn this off etc etc. but for anyone still with Windows 7 who is on the fence (or anyone wanting to buy a cheap OS - get a copy of 7 off of say, Amazon, and do the in-place upgrade while it still works) this looks like it's still a way to get Win 10.

I verified it's a different key as well between 7 and 10.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I does kind of make sense though. Even if Microsoft aren't advertising a free upgrade, it makes sense to move as many users as possible to Windows 10.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I does kind of make sense though. Even if Microsoft aren't advertising a free upgrade, it makes sense to move as many users as possible to Windows 10.

They’re starting subscription base for windows 10 and 7 shortly, so it doesn’t surprise me they’re still offering it free.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

It does but I was under the impression that the reason they limited it to the first year (well...publicly) was down to the upset it causes PC builders such as HP, Dell, etc as they felt they were losing out on upgrade revenue.

Which has never made much sense to me as I can't think of a scenario where they lose out:

Didn't want the hassle, so waited until Win 10 PC's could be bought
Bought a new PC with Win 7 to upgrade - paid for a Win 7 license
Didn't buy an OS - well...didn't buy an OS so no jam for the vendor there
Would have paid for an upgrade...well the chances are that that purchase wouldn't have been via the vendor. More likely online, direct with MS, or at a store such as PC World.

And like you say, and I'm with you and MS on this one - why keep people on a near 10-year old, unsupported OS?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
They’re starting subscription base for windows 10 and 7 shortly, so it doesn’t surprise me they’re still offering it free.

My understanding is that this isn't for everyone (yet) but is actually a managed desktop - i.e. it'll come with a support wraparound etc?

I must admit, these are areas of licensing I never get involved with. MS make it hideously complicated so I always throw any licensing issues over the wall to the experts.