OldLady saying Hello

OldLady

Hello

I've read some threads on the forum and it seems a friendly and helpful start to my search for a new laptop.

My chosen name "OldLady" is a statement of fact, and hopefully tells you - before hand - that I might ask some really stupid questions!

As if that wasn't bad enough... I use Linux and not very well.

I won't blame you if you're thinking to avoid me at all cost! If it's any consolation, I'll also be getting guidance from the Linux OS forum that I use (PCLinuxOS). In fact I've already been told by them to stick to onboard graphics because anything else will probably be beyond me.

I have my eye on a laptop so will post the configuration to the Linux forum and ask for comments.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello

I've read some threads on the forum and it seems a friendly and helpful start to my search for a new laptop.

My chosen name "OldLady" is a statement of fact, and hopefully tells you - before hand - that I might ask some really stupid questions!

As if that wasn't bad enough... I use Linux and not very well.

I won't blame you if you're thinking to avoid me at all cost! If it's any consolation, I'll also be getting guidance from the Linux OS forum that I use (PCLinuxOS). In fact I've already been told by them to stick to onboard graphics because anything else will probably be beyond me.

I have my eye on a laptop so will post the configuration to the Linux forum and ask for comments.

Love it, you are most welcome, and anyone using Linux at all (and certainly a bit older) deserves respect in my eyes.

We have a couple of Linux old hats here who should be able to advise with compatibility.

And Don’t worry, a lot of us are older on this forum :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Welcome. You have found a very friendly and resourceful place here with folks more than willing to help

OldLady

Gosh. I'm still busy reading as many posts as I can (gathering information) and received two kind replies already...

THANK YOU!

I'd like to include a smiley but they are all animated and I'm old-fashioned - I don't do dizzy!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello OldLady and welcome! :)

I'm pretty long in the tooth myself, well past bus-pass qualifying age anyway. I'm no Linux expert but there are a few on here who are so you're in good hands.

Ask anything you need to, we don't believe there is such a thing as a stupid question. In any case, they are more easily handled than stupid mistakes! :)

Welcome again...

OldLady

ubuysa and Tony1044:
I followed the links in your signature and from there to other links and learnt lots more. All this learning is doing my head in, but good manners dictate that I must say thank you.

I've made my first mistake already - it's no surprise... but yesterday, my first day here! <sigh> I had intended to post the configuration to the Linux board but it defaulted to "Check this spec!".

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ubuysa and Tony1044:
I followed the links in your signature and from there to other links and learnt lots more. All this learning is doing my head in, but good manners dictate that I must say thank you.

I've made my first mistake already - it's no surprise... but yesterday, my first day here! <sigh> I had intended to post the configuration to the Linux board but it defaulted to "Check this spec!".

I've moved it for you, it's now in the Linux forum. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
ubuysa and Tony1044:

I think, if you use the link to post it, then it's likely that that is the forum it goes into? Others will know that better than me :)

Honestly I feel your pain - sometimes the joy of working in IT is when you learn something new. Sometimes the pain of working in IT is when you [have to] learn something new.

And always, experience is the best way to learn - especially when the experience is followed by an "oops". :)

OldLady

Ooh - thank you for moving it ubuysa but it might explain a weird moment a minute ago.

In "Check this spec!" I constructed a new message and, after posting it, it showed as "Moved". Talk about messing with my brain - perhaps I'm much cleverer than I thought even remotely possible!!

By now I'm almost scared to check the Linux board to see exactly where the thread is. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Ooh - thank you for moving it ubuysa but it might explain a weird moment a minute ago.

In "Check this spec!" I constructed a new message and, after posting it, it showed as "Moved". Talk about messing with my brain - perhaps I'm much cleverer than I thought even remotely possible!!

By now I'm almost scared to check the Linux board to see exactly where the thread is. :)

This is when my mischievous nature would kick in and move it again... ;-)

Rakk

The Awesome

I think your new message was just added as a reply onto your other thread and so therefore when ubuysa moved your thread it also included moving your new post :)

Oh and welcome btw :)

This place is dangerous!

I think it's only dangerous when the mods are tired or not very sober :) (I'm sure I've accidentally deleted posts after a night out - but given I only tend to soft delete I normally get them back pretty quickly :))

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Done some of my best work when less than sober.

Must be said I've created some genius SQL scripts after a Friday lunchtime at the pub - and they are scripts that still work on the next Monday morning and that I can't improve :)