Ubuntu 18.04 on UltraNote Series 14" laptop

Pengwyn44

Today I received my new laptop. As is always the case PCS load Windows 10 onto the machine
in order to test it. The option to use Windows 10 is therefore available to all purchasers.
For those of us who prefer to use a Linux OS it is necessary to remove Windows or to
load Linux alongside it.
There are a number of ways to remove Windows, but in every case access to the UEFI
system is needed. This was the only difficulty that I encountered. Windows takes complete
control of all the computers on which it has been installed. It was necessary to switch the
laptop off for at least 10 seconds in order to completely shut down Windows. Then I had to
press the F2 key and hold it down before switching the laptop on, only after a few tries I got
into UEFI. I had already plugged in the external DVD drive. UEFI listed it in the boot menu.
However, after selecting it and pressing the F4 key to make the USB drive the first boot
device, it did not do so. I have had this same trouble on my desktop computer. However
I persevered and at last got the computer to boot from the external DVD. I loaded the
Linux program "Gparted" and used it to delete all the Windows partitions. Then I used it
to create a new partition. After that it was easy to install Ubuntu 18.04. Once installed all
the features of the laptop worked normally. Theoretically the Ubuntu installation disk will
delete the Windows files without using Gparted first, but I did not want to do it that way.