n33712

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE R6 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8600K (3.6 GHz) 9 MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 1500MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

Hi

Received the above build this morning but i cannot get the GPU to work (My own Nvidia 760)

Have tried GPU in a different PC and works fine.
Tried in a different PCIe Slot
Tried different port on the PSU
Tried different cabling from the PSU

I cannot get a display when the GPU is inserted. It does default to the PCIe slot from the onboard when plugged in even with no power cables attached.
I have rung PCS and there best guess is that the GPU is not supported. Anyone know anything about this? Didn't think my GPU was that old.

It doesn't help that the technician forgot to install the speaker so i cannot hear any post beeps.

If anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated before i go out and spend 100's on a card i was hoping to wait a while before purchasing.

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The GTX 760 should work, I've no idea what the person saying it wasn't supported was on about...

Are you sure you are inserting the graphics card fully / properly into the PCIe slot? And I take it you're plugging the monitor into the graphics card, not the motherboard?

n33712

The tech i spoke to went and had a chat with two others and they said that they believe the m/board / BIOS does not support this card.

So i have to go out and spend £400 - £500 to see if they are correct.

Yes am plugging the monitor in to the GPU and have checked lots to make sure the GPU is inserted fully.

If i was to guess it sounds more like a m/board issue but they say they have tested it with a 1050/1060.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The tech i spoke to went and had a chat with two others and they said that they believe the m/board / BIOS does not support this card.

So i have to go out and spend £400 - £500 to see if they are correct.

Yes am plugging the monitor in to the GPU and have checked lots to make sure the GPU is inserted fully.

If i was to guess it sounds more like a m/board issue but they say they have tested it with a 1050/1060.

The card is 100% supported , as oussebon says its a standard modern graphics card, they’re supported all the way back to years ago. Anyone claiming it isn’t doesn’t know about graphics cards.

Are you plugging in the right power cables from the PSU?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
2 things

1 - I am extremely sceptical that the GTX 760 is inherently incompatible with a Z370 motherboard.

2 - if you did go out and buy a new GPU a GTX 1050 ti is £150 or so. Or an RX 580 / GTX 1060 6gb for £250 or so if you wanted a big upgrade e.g. for gaming.

Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to advise on additional troubleshooting, but short of a hardware fault there's no reason they shouldn't ultimately be able to work together.

n33712

All i know is that it was an Asus 970 GTX. He is using it so could only borrow it for 30mins and he needed it back ;)

n33712

It really is....i can't work out what it is unless it is just a comparability issue.

A friend said that when he searched he found a couple of others that had 780 cards with the Z370 board (not the exact same one) and they had very similar issues.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It really is....i can't work out what it is unless it is just a comparability issue.

A friend said that when he searched he found a couple of others that had 780 cards with the Z370 board (not the exact same one) and they had very similar issues.

There's no issue with compatilbility. The only area that determines compatibility is weather it's PCI-E 2 or 3 which covers every motherboard built in the last 15 years or so.

The only other area that would cause incompatibility would be the PSU if it wasn't powerful enough to support the card.

n33712

So if that was the case there is still a chance that i will spend £500 on a new card and it may not work still :(

After a quick look though, most new GPU's use less that the 760

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So if that was the case there is still a chance that i will spend £500 on a new card and it may not work still :(

After a quick look though, most new GPU's use less that the 760

The PSU is certainly powerful enough unless it’s faulty.
I don’t know what to suggest. Only other things I can think is to raise an RMA with PCS and send them your card to test.
Or buy a PSU tester and test both the 8pin and 6pin outputs on the PSU. Really though PCS should be doing that.

n33712

I asked PCS on the phone earlier about it going back for testing but they would not entertain the idea until i tested it with a newer card as they state they have tested it when it was built with a 1050/1060 and was fine. I asked about logs for peace of mind before spending £100's but they do not keep logs with a GPU installed cause i did not purchase one with them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I asked PCS on the phone earlier about it going back for testing but they would not entertain the idea until i tested it with a newer card as they state they have tested it when it was built with a 1050/1060 and was fine. I asked about logs for peace of mind before spending £100's but they do not keep logs with a GPU installed cause i did not purchase one with them.

I forgot you tested it with a 970 and it worked fine. The 970 uses 2 x 6 pins?

So the difference is the additional 2 pin for the 670. Is it a 6 + 2 connector or an 8pin? if it's a 6 + 2 are you certain you've got the +2 bit in properly?

n33712

The 970 had 1x 6pin, that's all

I also tried the 760 with the 1x 8pin coming from 1x port on the PSU and the 6x pin coming from a different port.....so using 2x different cables to try and spread the load but had the same result

Edit - Just had a thought.....i have another 750w PSU in my old pc that is good. I could plug that in separately and just use the that for testing the GPU......would that test the PSU to see if it was faulty?

Last edited: