Chromium browser decoupled from Google

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I was over on bleepingcomputer earlier reading an article about how signing into any Google service now forcibly signs users into Chrome.

The workaround (for now, until Google kibosh it) is:

1. Open Chrome
  2. Type chrome://flags/#account-consistency in the address bar and press enter.
  3. When the "Identity consistency between browser and cookie jar" flag is displayed, set it to Disabled.

Possibly even more interesting though, is that there is a fork of Chromium that is entirely decoupled from Google.

It isn't the latest version, but for anyone who wants to try and keep at least a semblance of privacy, it's probably worth a look-see:

https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

Edit: Direct link to the Windows binaries (v67 for x64 and v55 for x86): https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/releases/windows/

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There are lots of non-Google Chromium browser around though, AFAIK they're all decoupled from Google as well, or am I wrong again? ;)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
There are lots of non-Google Chromium browser around though, AFAIK they're all decoupled from Google as well, or am I wrong again? ;)

I didn't believe Chromium itself was fully decoupled? So unless they were rewritten, there's always a certain level of integration, albeit less than Chrome. Honestly it's be a little while since I dug into it so I could be wrong.

To be honest it depends what you're doing with it - if you're going to just sign into, say Hangouts, in Chromium or browse on Google then you're probably giving just as much information to Google as if you just used plain old Chrome. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I didn't believe Chromium itself was fully decoupled? So unless they were rewritten, there's always a certain level of integration, albeit less than Chrome. Honestly it's be a little while since I dug into it so I could be wrong.

To be honest it depends what you're doing with it - if you're going to just sign into, say Hangouts, in Chromium or browse on Google then you're probably giving just as much information to Google as if you just used plain old Chrome. :)

I don't sign into anything because I don't do social media - it's easy not to when you have no friends.... :D