Ultranote V cant boot from USB flashdisc

Hello, i own Ultranote V with SSD. I have sucesfully installed windows 10 here. Everything is fine. But now, i need Ubuntu for studying, so i downloaded iso from official site, i made bootable usb flash-disc with this OS. But in Bios, there is no option for usb boot :O . I have no optical disc drive

How can I install ubuntu ?

Thank you

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Try disabling 'fast startup' in Windows, it's on by default and it hibernates the kernel on shutdown, that can stop USB sticks from booting. Go to Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do > uncheck the fast startup checkbox near the bottom.

I have disabled it. Still there is no usb boot option in boot menu in UEFI. I also tried turning off seucirty boot or uefi. Still doesnt work

I have 3 option for boot : 1. Windows Boot Manager ( that will run windows)
2. PXE IP4 Realtek
3. PXE IP6

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have disabled it. Still there is no usb boot option in boot menu in UEFI. I also tried turning off seucirty boot or uefi. Still doesnt work

I have 3 option for boot : 1. Windows Boot Manager ( that will run windows)
2. PXE IP4 Realtek
3. PXE IP6

Have you got the usb plugged in? Sorry to ask.

Okay, so i have change my USB flash disc. I can boot Now. But There Is another problem. Installation of Ubuntu Is stucked And i cant Finish IT. I Checked files And they Are not damaged. I download something similiar to Ubuntu (opensuse), IT doesnt work too. There Is something Wrong with notebook. I tried to turn off secure boot. No change.

Where Is the problem? Its impossible to use Ubuntu?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, so i have change my USB flash disc. I can boot Now. But There Is another problem. Installation of Ubuntu Is stucked And i cant Finish IT. I Checked files And they Are not damaged. I download something similiar to Ubuntu (opensuse), IT doesnt work too. There Is something Wrong with notebook. I tried to turn off secure boot. No change.

Where Is the problem? Its impossible to use Ubuntu?

When you say it’s stuck, you’ll have to be more specific... where does installation get to? Do you get any error messages?

If i install ubuntu, it stucked when i am choosing if i want to connect to internet (during installation]

When installing opensuse, its stucked when install files are loading

I tried to use same usb flash disc on my desktop and everything worked fine

Stephen M

Author Level
I have not come across the te internet connection problem before and have installed Linux distros on variety of PCS machines but a couple of thoughts.

Have you tried going for the Ubuntu live session, not the install and seeing if you can connect to the internet then, if yes you can then choose to install direct from the live session.

Also but not as good, you could try to complete the Ubuntu installation without connecting, if that works it will just mean a longer time downloading updates and third party drivers once connected.

An old standard fallback for almost any Linux problem is also to try the install with "nomodeset" although I think that is unlikely to help here.

I Always put option to not connect to internet. Also tried nomodeset. I get to another settings but after that Its freezed again

When i try "try Ubuntu" system Will start Up perfectly, when i try to install IT from There ITs freezed at same time

lausul

Hello

This might not work but you could try editing your grub linux cmd line to set acpi option.

When you boot upon the USB key and a menu proposes either to start live boot or to install Ubuntu, choose "Install Ubuntu" and press "E" on your keyboard. Some GRUB configuration is shown. Locate the line beginning with linux and insert acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" before ---.

That helps me installing ArchLinux on my Optimux IX. As far as I know, the ACPI configuration does not match well the standard.

If this doesn't work, try acpi=off instead. This will disable ACPI. This is not recommended because ACPI is, among other things, the new standard interface for power management. If this allows you to finish the installation, the best thing to do is to find which device is freezing your laptop.

Hope this helps

try acpi=off instead. This will disable ACPI. This is not recommended because ACPI is, among other things, the new standard interface for power management. If this allows you to finish the installation, the best thing to do is to find which device is freezing your laptop.

This is great advice. In fact, your post on Ubuntu 18.04 and your Optimus IX (same spec as mine except for different display size and SSD brand) got me up and running for Linux Mint 19 with just a few minor config problems remaining. I'd spent half a day trying to get a working installation before reading that, so thank you! :)

Setting "acpi=off" in grub during all installation stages worked brilliantly, and once all devices are resolved, it's no longer necessary. In my case, I think it was the GTX 1050 Ti causing problems...

Last edited: