Is Kingdom Come Deliverance the best game ever?

mitchm75

Hello,

I thought I'd come here for a more discerning audience, rather than other forums.

I've been gaming since the years of the ZX Spectrum 16k and now own an Octane III 17.3" (or IV can't remember) with a GTX1080, M2 and i7-7700k. I haven't played any online games except a few silly card games.

I honestly thought the years of ground breaking games were over. I thought I'd gotten old. Forget the Spectrum years, the games back then were truthfully rubbish if not addictive. The true, first real game was in the form of Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation. I watched my friend play it and couldn't quite believe the graphics and open world gameplay. I later bought a PlayStation and this game, and had the best experience of my (game playing) life. it had so much RPG depth, great emotional storytelling and it had great minigames. I spent hours at that arcade at the top of the lift.

Since then I've played great games, but none other managed to recapture that amazement. Games that stood out would be Civilization IV & V, Fall Out New Vegas and GTA V. I do like games where you can potter about whilst in the game.

I've also enjoyed Far Cry 3 and the Mass Effect Series. Oblivion and Skyrim are quite good. Massive disappointments have been The Witcher III and Bioshock. I could critique these all these games here but I don't intend to. They provided me with entertainment, but most I've never finished.

Now I just thought it was me getting old, not enjoying games anymore, games aren't what they used to be etc. However, I'm currently 3/4 through my second play of KCD, this time on Hardcore mode and it is amazing. I am living the life of Henry. It is great that you are rubbish at the beginning. You have no skills. you can barely lift a sword. You can't fight. The local drunk beats you up when you ask for your Dad's money. You have to run from every battle, from every bandit and mugger. You can't even read. I love that. You have to work your way up from scratch. You gradually learn these things. You can learn to pickpocket and lockpick if you want. You learn to drink alcohol, brilliant. All this and the game looks amazing. There is no simultaneous levelling of enemies with yourself. You experience yourself getting better both at combat and through levelling. Combat is about watching your opponent and timing, not just spam and roll. You feel like you actually deserve the perks because you worked so hard for them and they make a real difference. The storyline is pretty good too. I found the voice acting convincing and had one or two lumps in the throat. I love the local English accents (isn't the game set in Czech), but it makes it feel more rustic. To their credit they made the right choice in going with first person mode. It always feels more immersive, I wanna be my character. 3rd person always feels too detached and too much like you're playing a game.

This is a gaming experience which I never thought I'd have again. I touched upon it with Fall Out New Vegas and GTA V but this feels more permanent. I feel like I grew with Henry and turned from rubbish into no quite so rubbish. Now I'm just waiting for the next DLC so I can carry on.

This game broke through a barrier which I thought was closed forever. I tried GTA V since, with graphics mods again but it seemed dated.

I'm thinking the only way to top this would be to buy VR and a racing sim, but I have a young family and can't justify that expense and detachment from the outside world right now.

Anyway, a 43 year old gamer giving his point of view.

Ta, Matt

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've not played it. The whole Savoir Schnapps thing is the first thing that would get modded out if I did.

I am quite temped, but won't get it until all the DLC is out and the thing can be bought as a GOTY type bundle as I've no intention of paying 100% of the game price for 5% of the content. And probably with a better GPU and a gsync etc monitor given the relative levels of optimisation. Plus they'll have finished all the patches by then. I'm not averse to a janky game though as the Gothic series is one of my all time favourites, though I think I'd enjoy KC-D more once it's been fully polished.

Witcher 3 was outstanding, and the story writing is better than most TV shows, movies, and genre novels I've encountered.

KC-D is on sale for a record low price on GOG at the moment if anyone is interested though (not on the regular store, but their anniversary bundle sells it for under £20 with 2 other games included).

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This is my favourite KC-D video:
[video=youtube_share;TgTGg1kUQCo]https://youtu.be/TgTGg1kUQCo?t=14[/video]

mitchm75

Oh well,

Just typed a huge response and it didn't upload or save. Good old computers! Could be user error!

Quick recap - never had any serious bugs, know and love that video though.

As PC users we can adapt our setting through user configs and graphics settings. Beautiful game.

Saviour schnapps:-
There are many outcomes to each quest. It may say you've failed a bit, but you haven't. I relate it to Sonic the Hedgehog with higher and lower floors. Whatever level you land on you can still carry on, some more interesting than others.

I do hate repeating selling gear and repeating conversations though. Agreed there.

PS I think I clicked the big green "reply to thread" button which wiped my screen. I should have pressed "post quick reply"

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The forum will often give the option to auto-restore content if you type content, move away from the page without posting, and then come back. But yeah, it's a danger with internet forums, getting your stuff eaten :(

I think I'd have to compromise a bit too much on settings and quality to maintain a decent enough 60fps experience, going by the performance reviews and graphics settings comparisons I've seen. Even in the silly kick video the game looks pretty sweet and I'm looking forward to seeing it at its best when I do come to it. Therefore, better hardware is required! It'll give the devs time to release the DLC, package it up, and put it on sale at least...

mitchm75

Yeh, i'm not facebook or twitter or any of them. Thanks Oussebon.

I think there comes a time when technology gradually eats you, even if you think you're ahead.

Ta, Matt

P.S.I'm still interested in any other thoughts on this game. Afterall, Oussebon isn't the only person in the universe, even if if he is seemingly immortal :)

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I really enjoyed the game but I haven't really been bothered to go back to it after i took a break.

The priest questline is so funny but i completely broke it by skipping the dialogue and then I had to reload a save from 5 hours previous :/

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
My own go-to game is Portal 2 and user-added content.

I just love the fact that what is effectively a very simple concept leads to some incredibly mind-bending levels that require real thought and planning.

I still enjoy an FPS - my wow moment would and always will remain Halo CE on the PC when I first loaded it up.