Work/Gaming Laptop Advice Required

DBear

Hey Guys,
Looking into upgrading my current Laptop and need a bit of advice on what to go for:

RAM Required: 32Gb for handling large projects in Autodesk Revit.
CPU Required: Ideally I7 8750H or Equivalent
Graphics Card: Stuck between GTX 1060 Or 1070. It Won't be my main platform for gaming but iv heard it's always better to go with the best you can get within your budget to future proof it for a few years?
4K requirements: Not a must, 1080P would probably be adequate.
Portability: Extremely important as I work in different locations each day of the week
Budget: Ideally something around 2000E or less.

Iv seen the Defiance V would probably fit the bill however I have read on the forums there are issues with its Chassis and or overheating?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

debjac

I've just built myself an Octane V because I'd heard about the Defiance's heat issues. If you stick with the 1060, you can get pretty much all of the above at or below UK GBP 2000, on either size of standard-HD screen. It requires a bit of tweaking and balancing and depends on what SSD etc you require. However the 1070 makes a few hundreds' difference. I still think it's probably best to go with the 1070 if you can afford it however. Unfortunately I'm working from an insurance claim and have a hard upper limit just above 1900 :(

Stephen M

Author Level
The Octane is a superb machine, I currently have the V model and am very pleased with it but you mention portability and the Octane is a desktop replacement rather than laptop and is quite heavy, 3.9kg and a large power brick but if you are OK with that I would thoroughly recommend it. A standard screen should be fine, on a 17" screen you are not going to notice much between that and the 4K and it will save a few quid. What SSD are you thinking about, the Samsung m2 PCle NVMe are excellent.

DBear

Thanks a lot for the input folks.
Haha jebac, having and upper limit may actually be a good thing! �� Both are definitely selling the octane to me.
In terms of weight I'll just need to get a bigger bag.
For storage, I'd say a mixture of ordinary storage and a small amount of solid state. At the minute iv filled a TB of ordinary storage so probably 2TB and then 500Gb ssd? Any thoughts?