Need assistance for setting up a gaming projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisres34

Hi there! I need help in setting up a gaming projector and I don't have enough space in my living room. I know there's a lot of options out there but I don't know which one to buy. Has anyone setup a gaming projector previously and if so which one you all prescribe. Thanks :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So this depends on a lot of factors.

I did some work in education a few years ago and projectors are used extensively and I think it helps you to decide if you narrow your criteria down first.

Depending on the space you have you might want to consider a short throw - that is a type that you can actually put close to the wall/screen you're using. But the long-throw projectors tended to be able to cover a wider area on the whole.

Ambient light is always an issue with a projector so look for ones that can be used during the day.

How you connect to it will be another factor - wired or wireless? Wired will always be better performing but wireless gives you the freedom to have your PC wherever (within reason) you want it without having to run cables for the projector. But you're still going to need to power it.

I'm not aware of any gaming-specific projectors so I can't help you choose that.

Consider the light source - replacement bulbs can often be very expensive compared to the cost of a projector. LED based projectors never used to throw much light.

Sorry I can't help with more specifics.

jerpers

Master
I am a teacher in a school and am often involved in sorting out projectors for my department. In my opinion, they are not great for gaming, certainly at the lower end of budgets. They need a dark room, get quite noisy, need external speakers, cabling can get messy (unless channeling out walls) and can suffer from lag, as well as what was mentioned above. When you get into the higher end ones around the £1000 mark they are better for lag and quality of picture but are more expensive than equivalent TV's.

Status
Not open for further replies.