mSATA only for 3G?

Siryus

Hello, I'm new here. I have a Clevo W650SJ, and I need to buy this same mSata SSD Kingston SUV500MS. But in my country this model of M.2 is so expensive compared to the normal M.2 (which is longer) that I would like to know if it's possible to remove the CD/DVD optical drive and put a normal SSD Kingston A400 in the CD/DVD slot, because doing this I could buy a SSD with 480GB cheaper than this mSata 240GB.

Siryus

Yes, this is possible. I've done that with my Clevo. Works well.
Thank you. Is it true that the SATA in the DVD slot is slower than the SATA of the standard HD slot? And can the Driver Caddy (the adapter to put the SSD in the DVD slot) make it slower?

Sorry for many questions, but the read/write speeds differ between the A400 (500/450MB/s) and the SUV500MS (520/500MB/s). Do you think it is worth buying the SUV500MS instead of the A400 just because it's this faster (more 20/50MB/s)?

Qrzysio

DVD drive uses slim SATA socket (called also as micro SATA). The maximum speed is the same (up to 6 Gbit/s), but you should use it for the second hard drive. Install a fast SSD drive with an operating system in the main SATA socket in your laptop, and then install a second SATA drive in the DVD caddy.

Please remember there are two types of DVD/HDD caddies: thickness is 12,7 mm and 9,5 mm. This Clevo has 12,7 mm drive (the most popular), but double-check that, before you buy, please. Just measure or ask a shop assistant. Be careful when switching the front DVD panel cover. It's quite tricky.