BSOD and bad blocks on disk

nc robins

Hi, our PC is about 5 years old and just started crashing a few days ago with a blue screen and system service exception error. It crashes immediately after logging into the main admin account. And after 5-10 mins in the standard user account. The disk shows 100% usage before the blue screen. It restarts and defaults into the standard user account.

I don't have all the specs to hand but it's got an Intel core i5-3750 [email protected], 8Gb ram, Windows 10 Home.

I can't access the administrator account because it crashes. But I managed to look in the event log which shows numerous 'Disk has a bad block' messages amongst others.

I tried booting in safe mode but it still crashed. I've created a Ubuntu bootable USB and can access the files on the hard drive with this.

I've also created a Windows 10 bootable USB and used it to run chkdsk last night using this command:
chkdsk E: /R
There were 6 x 'replaced bad sectors' messages followed by an 'unspecified error occurred' message.

I'm not sure what to next. Is the hard drive damaged beyond repair and does it need to be replaced? I'm not an IT expert but I'm kinda pleased I've got this far on my own, so please be gentle 😃

Many thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The HDD is beyond repair and you should get your user data off there as soon as possible. You'll need a new drive, which will mean a Windows reinstall - given the problems with that drive I wouldn't attempt to clone it, a reinstall would be wiser.

You might want to think about upgrading to an SSD too, subject to cost. An SSD will make a big difference to the performance of that PC.