Looking for a mid-range gaming and work pc - appreciate comments on this spec.

iantom

Hi, I'm looking for feedback and helpful comments on this PC spec which will be used for business and small-medium-time gaming.

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)

Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

1st Hard Disk
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE

1st M.2 SSD Drive

250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 1500MB/W)

External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive (required for business)
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans

Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Sound Card (Won't use this as have my own SoundBlaster z module)
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking (needs to be wired for business)
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Office Software (Don't actually require this as I already have a full MS Office package that I will install)
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)

Anti-Virus (Don't require this as have own Smart Security system to put on)
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

QTY 1

£1,900.00 ex VAT £2,280.00 inc VAT and Delivery

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

It will more than manage small and medium level gaming but it's difficult to say on the business functions without knowing what your business needs are.

Generically from a business point of view you want to consider longevity, size and portability, noise, heat, appearance and a few other things. It might be you have considered whether you are happy with the amount of noise and heat it will produce if it is on for long periods. Most office computers won't have the extra electricity cost, heat and noise of a GTX2080 for example, which won't be needed for regular office tasks.

If it is in a home office in which clients occasionally visit then appearance might be relevant. You've chosen quite a discrete looking case and one I personally like.

Being able to keep separate and back up your work and personal data is also something to consider. Being able to keep work data secure, Ransomeware free, Phishing free and so forth. Client data on a home computer is something you may have thought about but I thought I would mention it.

As for the computer it might be more than you need in some areas, i.e. 8 core CPU, high-end gaming motherboard. The business use will determine if you need 8 cores, gaming isn't likely to for some time. Everything else looks fine. I'm not a huge fan of water cooling so my preference is the Noctua cooler which is whisper quiet and will keep any CPU plenty cool enough.

Frank100

iantom

Thanks Frank100 for your feedback. Interesting your comments on water cooling because I was having a concern over this, so have taken your advice and swapped this on my spec to your choice of Noctua cooler.

The business part is mostly cloud based, even though I do work from home in finance, so security is well covered in this instance.

I agree that some of the spec might appear over the top for what I require but as this is the first build I've done in many a year, I don't want to wish I had chosen something else.

Once again, thanks for you comments.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
i.e 1080p 60hz I take it

An £800 GPU is beyond overkill and just not worth you buying.

A GTX 1060 would be appropriate for casual gaming in modern titles at high-ultra settings. Or a GTX 1070 ti if you have money to tip on the system that you want to just tip on the system. The RTX 2080 is really for 4k or 1440p 144hz.

The H115 cooler is major overkill unless you intend to overclock as far as you can?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you were going for the 1070 ti btw, the RTX 2070 has just been released and offers better performance and potentially more futureproof features for not much more cash.