Upgrading my PC RAM

Hi I have a
Intel® Core™ i3-7100 Processor 3M Cache, 3.90 GHz and want to upgrade my RAM. I have 8GB installed 2x4GB and want 2x8 GB 16GB.

It says that DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V is compatible with it. I have found this RAM (Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2133MHz Memory Kit for Skylake) and was wondering is this compatible with my pc?

Thank you

Will

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It should work in your desktop PC. You can check the motherboard's QVL too.

Why do you want 16gb RAM?

Shepard

Enthusiast
Hi Will,

did you check your task manager, there is a tab called 'performance' which should give you an overview of the RAM.
If you want to upgrade your RAM, the easiest is to check the tech specs of your motherboard to see what it can handle, it will give you a very specific list of what is compatible and what isn't.

Regards,
Shepard

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
To add to the above, what is the full spec of your system and what games are you trying to run?

I can't think of a game on the market that should be unable to run with 8gb RAM.

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Processor i3-7100 (3.90GHz) 3MB Cache

Memory
8GB Kingston DUAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 - DVI, HDMI, DP

Cities Skylines, it is a sandbox game with lots of downloadable assets and mods which take up more memory than the vanilla game itself. I have a few 100 assets I use which slows the game down to an extent but recently my pc has just been crashing whilst loading it

Shepard

Enthusiast
If you have four DIMM slots on the motherboard you could just buy another set of 8GB Kingston DUAL DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB) and double your RAM. That is, in my opinion, the easiest way as you can literally just push the sticks in the empty slots. You can also keep your current RAM instead of buying 2x8GB and having to get rid of the current RAM sticks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm going to guess it an H110M-R motherboard with no spare slots. What is the full spec?

but recently my pc has just been crashing whilst loading it
I doubt the RAM qty itself is the issue - especially if it used to be basically fine. Check your memory usage like Shepard suggested.

It is a ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-R. It's since I added more custom content to my games that is has started to slow down. My memory usage is quite low unless I have Google Chrome open. With chrome open it sits on 3.4 in use and 4.4 available to use.