2 lines business and pleasure

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I am having a business line installed with another router at my home, to work separately from the existing personal line I have already.

So 2 lines, with their own wifi router. I want to keep them totally separate, but more than likely be using the same wi fi devices, pc's phone, tablets, printers on both networks...

I think I will have to configure devices to default to a particular network to stop devices trying to log on to both.... other than this are there any other problems I may have to think about

Regards
Chris

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
If it's wifi and the two wifi routers are close there may be some interference. Make sure they're on different wifi channels.

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
thanks for the info..
anything else I need to worry about.
I guess the IP addresses will need to be checked as well, to make sure they are on different networks...
not sure if DHCP will realise they are different networks

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You MUST make the SSID names different of course.

From a troubleshooting point of view it would be wise to make the base IP address of each DHCP server (in each router) different; so make one 192.168.1.0 and the other 192.168.2.0 for example. Even if you have the base IP addresses in each router the same then it will all still work because devices will be connecting to one or other SSID so there will be no confusion.

I second Tony1044's suggestion about using different channels too. Download a copy of inSSIDer3 (free) from https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html and use that to do a site survey. It will show you which wifi channels are in use in your vicinity, so select two channels that are least used in your area and assign one channel to one router and the other channel to the other router. If channels 1, 6, or 11 are free in your area then pick one of those preferentially (because there is no overlap on those channels) but any channel will be just fine.

Last edited:

chrissib

Bronze Level Poster
ok thanks for the info...further questions...
could I use the second wifi router as just a hub, ie, turn the wifi off and use a wired connection to gain ports?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
ok thanks for the info...further questions...
could I use the second wifi router as just a hub, ie, turn the wifi off and use a wired connection to gain ports?

You mean use the router as a switch to connect devices onto the same LAN? It depends on the router, but yes you most probably could.