Gaming Computer for Xplane - want to buy for the future.....

ricbla

Hello all,
I just ordered this computer which is about as good as it could be with current hardware for Xplane. However, I am a bit concerned that in very little time technology will have moved forward and I will have to start upgrading. So I have the following questions:
1) Would I be better off getting an i9 now and if so which one? Let's assume that performance is more important than price...
2) Would one of the new nVidia 2080 models be a better choice?
3) Will I be able to notice the difference between 3000mhz memory and 3200mhz?

I would like to build for the next few years without having to change. That said, I am very excited to be upgrading from a gaming laptop!
Best regards to all,
R

Case GAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Eight Core (3.60GHz @ up to 4.6GHz)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME X299-A: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, RGB Ready
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language US International/USA - US English Language
Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online
Account
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Monitor Samsung LU28E590DS/EN 28" 4K FreeSync LED Monitor
Keyboard & Mouse ASUS Cerberus Keyboard & Mouse Bundle
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery 3 - 4 DAY DELIVERY TO SPAIN
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity 1

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Please cancel that build, the processor is old and outperformed by any newer ones and yes, it would be worth waiting for reviews of the 9th gen which are due this week.

For some other comments, that monitor has freesync which only works with AMD graphics cards, you need to find a gsync compatible one, the Acer is my signature is very good cost and excellent performer.

The only other thing that really stands out is I wouldn't use that case in such a powerful build, it's really meant for entry level gaming systems. I would look at 80E minimum on a build like that.

Wait for 3rd party reviews of the i9 9900k due at the end of this week. There's currently one review by a company called Principled Technologies, but it's not at all reliable and massively favoured to Intel even after they redid them, the intel builds had better RAM frequencies, better coolers to name a couple of indiscretions.

Wait for the proper 3rd party reviews.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Agreed with all the above. Once the new CPUs and mobos are out and the reviews are out (19th October I think), post back with your budget and we can discuss specs :)

ricbla

Thanks for the pointers on the monitor. I will select one with GSYNCH.
And will wait and see on the processor.
As far as the case goes, I selected this one because it has a lot of USB ports, which I need for VR and flight controls. I will look again at the others, but what are the critical factors?
What about that 3000 memory vs the 3200 memory?
Thanks again....

OK, here is another quote for maximum quality - got a ACER predator monitor from Amazon - here is the rest:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-7940X 14 Core (3.10GHz @ up to 4.6GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready! ()
1st Hard Disk
4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse
ASUS Cerberus Keyboard & Mouse Bundle
Warranty

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think it would make much more sense to wait for the new CPUs and motherboards to be out properly and reviewed, and then take a view of the spec as a whole, rather than picking through individual details now and basing specs on random 14-core CPUs that are being made obsolete. :) It will help keep the conversation more focused.

As for the RAM, are you likely to see much difference? Probably not. Would I buy 3200MHz RAM over 3000MHz RAM if spending that much on a PC? Almost certainly to squeeze out every lat drop of performance.

ricbla

Thanks, OK - so when might I be able to buy the newest motherboards and processors? I have already paid PCS for the first system above and was hoping in short order to have a new box. The new generation chips and graphics systems are ridiculously expensive so the box gets to be at least 1500€ more expensive with the new stuff above - and that's not even considering what the latest generation might cost! Thanks again for your comments.....

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As Spydertracks suggested, the best way forward is to cancel the order, get your money back, and then place a fresh order.

The reviews of the new CPUs and motherboards are expected to start coming out on October 19th, so I'd suggest asking on the forums on 20th October.

The 2080 ti is more expensive, yes, and you'll need to decide if you want a 1080 ti that is cheaper, or a 2080 ti that is better but more expensive.

But it's not 1500€ more expensive. The reason your spec has gone up by 1500€ is because you have changed the CPU to a 14-core i9, which is not what we told you to do. :)

We are suggesting you wait for the i9 9900k (with is an 8-core i9 CPU) and the Z390 motherboards to be out.

Cancel the order. Then place a new order after 20th October when all the reviews are out. You are spending thousands of € on a PC that will last you many years. Don't rush for the sake of a few days.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Most of the cases are fine. Some are quite big, so you might not want to buy those unless you don't mind a huge case.

Fast RAM for your budget.

As for cooling, we shall need to wait and see for the CPU reviews to decide what's appropriate. It could be that a Noctua CPU cooler is fine for an overclocked 9th Gen CPU. It could be that they run very hot and the H115 cooler is desirable.

Hopefully all will be revealed by the end of the week :) As above, PCS haven't listed the 9th Gen CPUs in their overclocked configurator yet, so we need to wait and see for that too.

ricbla

I started looking at the liquid cooling options and there they offer the z370 motherboard, that with a BIOS change, will accept the i9. So just for fun, I put together a quote with everything minus the i9. I can just barely afford it. Let's see if they offer the i9 after Friday.....

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you put together a quote with the i7 8700k and can "just barely afford it" you did it wrong because it is much cheaper than the 7820x you started off with.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Unless you mean the Liquid Series systems. Those can be £1000 more expensive than regular systems :)

ricbla

Liquid systems is exactly what I specified. It got the price up to the gag level, but to get an i9 I'll find a way somehow.....

Can those chips run overclocked with a lesser cooling system? I saw a video where the guy claimed that liquid cooling was more of a fad and not really necessary for good gaming.....

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Liquid cooling is not necessary for good gaming, and neither is overclocking. Also there are 2 types of liquid cooling - the Liquid Series type with coloured tubes of water that is very expensive (open loop / custom loop liquid cooling) and closed loop liquid coolers like the H100x, and all of those.

Some rumours have said the 9th Gen chips run pretty hot. If they do run very hot overclocked, then that's not a problem - just buy a very good cooler, or just buy one at stock speeds without an overclock :) We'll know the truth of it in a few days though.

ricbla

Thanks for clarifying the different kinds of liquid cooling. I think I would prefer the closed loop type, all other things being equal. And those are way less expensive. From a cooling standpoint, they should both work about the same, no?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Custom loop cooling is even more effective than the closed loop coolers, and it can be used to cool the GPU too (though you can buy GPUs with their own closed-loop liquid coolers built-in). But it's a lot more expensive, and also involves more work (it needs draining, flushing, and refilling periodically).

Compared to closed loop coolers where all you need to do is dust the fans/radiators every now and then, same as any cooler.

And if you're not overclocking pretty high, there isn't a huge amount of benefit other than it might be quieter and looks pretty.

Last edited: