i7-8700k overclocked vs the new i7-9700k not OC

Ivo

Hey guys,

Pretty much what the title says.

1. Which one do you think will be better - The i7-8700k overclocked by PCS to 4.8Ghz or the new i7-9700k (4.9Ghz with turbo boost) for which PCS don't have an OC version yet for obvious reasons. The base speed of the first is 3.7 and the latter 3.6 but I guess this doesn't matter that much in gaming, it's the top speed that counts. I reckon the difference between both will be marginal but would like to see what you think and if I'm wrong?

2. Which one would you go for gaming/gaming + streaming and why? Currently I'm playing the new AC Odyssey & Forza Horizon 4 but when there aren't new cool titles out I play a lot of Dota 2.

3. Do you know if the 4.8Ghz is the min PCS will overclock the processor to or the maximum? Is there a chance, if they've tested it and confirmed that it's safe to do so, to overclock it higher than what it says on the drop-down configuration menu?

The rest of my spec will be GTX1080Ti, Gigabyte z390 motherboard and 16GB RAM 2666Mhz.

Hope you can provide some insight.

Cheers!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Honestly, the reviews come out in a few days, just wait. Any speculation in the meantime will be meaningless.

For 3) it's "up-to" so it won't be higher. Obviously we don't know what frequencies they will OC the new CPUs upto. Bear in mind PCS only charge about £10 for the pre-OCed systems, so tailor-made pushing of each chip to it's max isn't something you're gonna get for a tenner.