Octane 230W vs. 330W adapter?

qqdc

The 15" Octane V offers a choice between a 230W and a 330W AC Adapter. Clicking the "?" shows two identical pictures of cute little AC adapters, that I doubt are actual photos ;-)
How do I choose? Is there a difference in size/weight? (There is no difference in price.)

Part two of my question is that I have an 18-month old Octane. (The invoice/spec I'm looking at doesn't tell me what Octane version - is there a way to find out?)
It has a 230W adapter.
And the battery is described as "Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)", which is identical to the Octane V spec.

Will I be able to share the adapter and/or battery between them?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
230W for GTX 1060. 330W for GTX 1070.

I honestly can't tell you why the 1070 gets a +100W adapter, maybe it's just that this is what they use for the 1080 in the 17" version and it saves them stocking 3 adapter types instead of 2. No idea if they will work with older models.

What clevo chassis model is your current laptop? That would be my starting point, will let you work out which Octane it was anyway

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
230W for GTX 1060. 330W for GTX 1070.

I honestly can't tell you why the 1070 gets a +100W adapter, maybe it's just that this is what they use for the 1080 in the 17" version and it saves them stocking 3 adapter types instead of 2. No idea if they will work with older models.

What clevo chassis model is your current laptop? That would be my starting point, will let you work out which Octane it was anyway

My guess, and it's only that, is that the 1070 needs a bigger power output from the adapter in order to charge a dead flat battery and run the 1070 at the same time....

qqdc

That is interesting, thanks. My existing computer has the GTX 1070, but the 230W power supply (330W wasn't offered at the time).

Thanks for the chassis number idea. A quick google tells me it is the Octane III.
I know they've been on Octane V for a while, as I've been following it for months, hoping for a price drop on the 1070 vs. 1060 price difference (which hasn't happened). Still wondering if I should hold out for the Octane VI, which cannot be that far away, or that price drop.

Rajen

Hi

i was planning to buy an Octane V

if you already have it could tell me what your experience is please

Raj