Spec check for 1440p gaming PC

mbuk2k

Hi,

Looking for some notes on this gaming PC.

Will pair it with a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor which I have.

Thanks in advance.

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z370-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
8GB ASUS DUAL GEFORCE RTX 2080 OC - HDMI, DP
1st Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Additional: Mainly used for single-player gaming, no streaming. Also as a Plex server for my TV. Build comes to around £2300.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What's the budget and how much did that spec come to?

Any uses other than gaming?

And out of interest, what model's the monitor?

Last edited:

mbuk2k

Spec comes to about £2300 and that is okay for me - it's the first time I've had significant budget for a gaming PC. Looking to finance it around £50-60 per month.

Mainly used for single-player gaming, no streaming. Also as a Plex server for my TV.

The monitor is a Dell S2716DG 27". It's TN not IPS, but other than that I've found it a really good monitor.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Especially when you're a new poster, the forum can auto moderate new posts / existing posts if you edit them, so do wait for one of us to release them :)

I'd suggest waiting until 20th October for reviews of the new CPUs and motherboards to be out. And hopefully PCS will be offering the new CPUs pre-overclocked too.

Also the RTX 2080 PCS are offering currently (the Strix) is £347 over a 1080 ti. That's £347 or about 50% more for.. maybe a dash more performance in a few titles? So stick to the 1080 ti there...

I'd probably end up suggesting a better SSD (970 Evo), better quality PSU, faster RAM, and possibly a better motherboard.

B ut I can't post an alternative spec until PCS update their pre-overclocked configurator and we have reviews.

That monitor has been very well received on the forums.

I'm assuming you don't need to transcode video via when streaming via plex, it's just direct playback.

mbuk2k

Thanks for the point re forum posts, makes sense now!

Also the RTX 2080 PCS are offering currently (the Strix) is £347 over a 1080 ti. That's £347 or about 50% more for.. maybe a dash more performance in a few titles? So stick to the 1080 ti there...

It's an interesting one. I picked the 2080 because I believe/hope that DLSS will deliver consistently better frame rates than the 1080 Ti in time. I know it's not supported yet though. Also, ray-tracing :D

I'd probably end up suggesting a better SSD (970 Evo), better quality PSU, faster RAM, and possibly a better motherboard.

There's quite a lot in this single line! Can you elaborate? Is it just a case of well if you've saved the money on the 1080Ti then you could go better on the other components... or is there actually anything particularly wrong/poor with those components I've picked. e.g.

Mobo - what would "better" look like? Just more features, or is the Z370-P a bottleneck?
RAM - again, bottleneck or just 'could go faster'?
SSD - I can't imagine this is a bottleneck but understand there are faster ones out there

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Mobo - lots more features on something like the Ultra Gaming for relatively little cost increase. RAM, 3000MHz can offer big gains in some titles for relatively little price increase. SSD, if spending a shedload on a 500gb NVMe drive, makes sense to get one that's quite a lot faster for £24 more. You may or may not be interested in the free AAA title too.

As for the PSU, I wouldn't ideally power a £2300 system with an 80+ white rated VS series, plus TMx series is modular (fewer cables, better airflow) more efficient and better build quality.

But I didn't want to elaborate too much ad I'd normally do that when posting a full spec, which I wouldn't do until the reviews of the new mobos and CPUs are out later this week.
It's an interesting one. I picked the 2080 because I believe/hope that DLSS will deliver consistently better frame rates than the 1080 Ti in time. I know it's not supported yet though. Also, ray-tracing
This is commonly known as gambling, for which you're paying 50% - £350 for. And even if a portion of games do start adopting this partial ray-tracing (bearing in mind it's just for shadows and reflections, the rest still being done via rasterisation as always), and it looks good, and the performance is sort-of viable, and the games start adopting DLSS - this is the first gen of hardware with those features. I've heard speculation that it will be replaced with a new gen with a year - pretty credible considering the -80 ti launch so early on and the dire FPS/£ ratio. Nvidia's just having a whip-round.

Stick with the 1080 ti, and put those £350 in the kitty for a GPU upgrade when and if the tech matures and more powerful cards become available anyway.

£1050 for an RTX 2080. Just no. You can buy RTX 2080 tis for that money (2nd website I went on had a 2080 ti for £1099.00)

Last edited:

mbuk2k

Great comments, thanks. It doesn't sound like there's any major bottlenecks in the build, but I am interested in where I can get more performance with little extra cost. Particularly with the RAM and SSD.

I didn't realise the PSU wasn't up to scratch so thanks for pointing it out.

Take your points on the GPU and will mull it over, but I suspect we'll go our separate ways on that one :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Separate ways? You're honestly gonna pay £1050 for a 2080 when you can buy a 2080 ti for £1100. Lol. :/

The 2080 ti offering 25-30% more performance in current titles at high resolutions and packing 50% more RT and Tensor cores.

Last edited: