Installing Windows store apps without using the store

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no, that's what my research suggests anyway. Here's the situation....

I currently have the ClassicFM Windows store app installed in my Windows 10 1803 system (my wife likes ClassicFM on all day).

For reasons not at all clear the ClassicFM app is no longer available in the Windows store. I've had an email conversation with Global Radio (who own ClassicFM) and they tell me it's no longer available because '...that version of the app was no longer supported by the store and so it had to be pulled' which isn't terribly informative nor helpful. Global are not able to tell me when or if a new version of the app will be made available.

I can of course simply use a browser to listen online but the app is quick and convenient and my wife knows how to use it!

Obviously when I clean install Windows 10 1809 I won't be able to install the ClassicFM app from the store, but I'm wondering whether there is any way I can install it from the already downloaded material for the existing version of the app? It would appear to be a Java app, since there are several .js files as well as a couple of .xml files but there's no 'install' file.

Anyone have any suggestions? Can it even be done?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I suppose the alternative is some kind of android emulator and getting the app off the play store... so hopefully the above works!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You could try something like this: https://github.com/mjmeans/Appx-Backup

Unfortunately MS don't want to make it easy - sideloading store apps is a developer option I believe and as a non-developer I'm not sure what it entails.

I'll give that a go. Thank you!

I suppose the alternative is some kind of android emulator and getting the app off the play store... so hopefully the above works!

It would be simpler just to use the browser I think, but thanks anyway. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You could try something like this: https://github.com/mjmeans/Appx-Backup

Unfortunately MS don't want to make it easy - sideloading store apps is a developer option I believe and as a non-developer I'm not sure what it entails.

Sadly I didn't manage to get this to work. Although I installed the entire Visual Basic Community 2017 package and the entire Windows 10 SDK, running the PowerShell script results in an error complaining that the AppManifest.xml file can't be found. The file is present and in the root of the store app's folder, the contents of the AppManifest.xml file appear to be complete when I compare it with other store app manifest files too.

Frankly it's not really worth more of my time, I have nicked the store app icons so I'll just create a browser shortcut with the URI of the ClassicFM stream added and use the store icon for it. My wife will never know the difference..... ;)