Quite impressed

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Battery
Optimus IX Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ WIRELESS-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Everything works flawlessly. Haven't tried any VR tests as that is not my focus at all.
Feels like a 512 SSD would've been better, but I was stupid and I'll have to manage to cope with the 256gb.

Any feedback for further upgrades is more than welcome!

Cheers, PCS!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the response and I'm glad you're happy. :)

If you don't use hibernation then turning hibernate off (powercfg -h off) will save a bunch of SSD space. Also, since you have ample RAM, you could move the pagefile to the HDD with no loss of performance and a big saving in SSD space. Those two alone will save you around 40GB of SSD space.

The other thing you can do is to regularly run a disk cleaner to ensure there is no garbage build-up on the SSD that wastes space.

:)

Thanks for the response and I'm glad you're happy. :)

If you don't use hibernation then turning hibernate off (powercfg -h off) will save a bunch of SSD space. Also, since you have ample RAM, you could move the pagefile to the HDD with no loss of performance and a big saving in SSD space. Those two alone will save you around 40GB of SSD space.

The other thing you can do is to regularly run a disk cleaner to ensure there is no garbage build-up on the SSD that wastes space.

:)

Thank you for the reply and I deeply appreciate your tips, you're a STAR! :)

Are you sure that by moving the pagefile to HDD, the performance will remain the same? :yes:

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Good to hear all's well with the system.

The good news for your wallet is that there's not much you can, need, or should want to upgrade :)

CPU and GPU are soldered on, so not upgradable, 16gb fast RAM should do you for the lifetime of the system (assuming gaming, general use, and casual photo/video editing), and the storage you've got is adequate. While 512gb might have seemed preferable in hindsight, in addition to the advice above remember it's very easy to move game installs between the SSD and HDD - it can be done in a few button clicks in steam. Replacing a 256gb SSD with a 512gb one wouldn't be great from a value point of view.

SSD prices are falling, so if you decide you want more space next year you could always see what 1TB prices are doing.

Good to hear all's well with the system.

The good news for your wallet is that there's not much you can, need, or should want to upgrade :)

CPU and GPU are soldered on, so not upgradable, 16gb fast RAM should do you for the lifetime of the system (assuming gaming, general use, and casual photo/video editing), and the storage you've got is adequate. While 512gb might have seemed preferable in hindsight, in addition to the advice above remember it's very easy to move game installs between the SSD and HDD - it can be done in a few button clicks in steam. Replacing a 256gb SSD with a 512gb one wouldn't be great from a value point of view.

SSD prices are falling, so if you decide you want more space next year you could always see what 1TB prices are doing.

Appreciate your reply, Oussebon. You've got a reputation around here and by replying to this post I have peace of mind now regarding my system. :) :)

Cheers and have a great weekend!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are you sure that by moving the pagefile to HDD, the performance will remain the same? :yes:

The pagefile is used for two main purposes; holding pages stolen from RAM when RAM is being heavily used, and for holding a minidump whilst it's being taken.

You don't expect a minidump of course, they're taken mainly when you BSOD, but you do need a pagefile big enough to hold one (using the system managed size does that for you).

With 16GB of installed RAM, and unless you do a lot of video or high-res image editing (or anything else that consumes large amounts of RAM), your RAM won't be under any pressure and you won't be paging to the pagefile in any appreciable way. That's why moving the pagefile to a slower drive won't cause a noticeable performance impact.

It only takes a reboot to move the pagefile back to the SSD so if you do notice a performance impact it's easy to change back. :)

The pagefile is used for two main purposes; holding pages stolen from RAM when RAM is being heavily used, and for holding a minidump whilst it's being taken.

You don't expect a minidump of course, they're taken mainly when you BSOD, but you do need a pagefile big enough to hold one (using the system managed size does that for you).

With 16GB of installed RAM, and unless you do a lot of video or high-res image editing (or anything else that consumes large amounts of RAM), your RAM won't be under any pressure and you won't be paging to the pagefile in any appreciable way. That's why moving the pagefile to a slower drive won't cause a noticeable performance impact.

It only takes a reboot to move the pagefile back to the SSD so if you do notice a performance impact it's easy to change back. :)

Wow, more information than required. Thank you for your time and thank you for being so kind to actually explain this to me.

I'll test it out soon, cheers!