15.6" octane v

Rajen

Hi does anyone have any advice or experience about buying a DTR laptop with a full desktop CPU

My main concern is the CPU ie whether a laptop could support such a CPU without it failing

the specs would be

4k widescreen

either

i7 8700k or 9600k (depending on reviews)

nvidia 1070

16b corsair 3000 RAM

Samsung 970 evo 500gb

rest of the specs as std

Any advice from the mods or optimus V users would be helpful

Raj

Rajen

What's the budget

I've checked the price it comes to around £2200

And what are you using it for?

I was planning to buy a Honda Civic Type R (315hp); most of my driving is on the motorway and A roads with speed cameras. My wife and son asked the same question and didn't let me buy it. I had to settle for a Mazda 3 (165 hp - about 10K cheaper); so the next best thing is to splash out on a Civic type R - powerful laptop even though i wont be needing the horsepower)

so my question remains; anyone with negative experiences about a desktop CPU and GPU in a laptop?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What's the budget

I've checked the price it comes to around £2200

And what are you using it for?

I was planning to buy a Honda Civic Type R (315hp); most of my driving is on the motorway and A roads with speed cameras. My wife and son asked the same question and didn't let me buy it. I had to settle for a Mazda 3 (165 hp - about 10K cheaper); so the next best thing is to splash out on a Civic type R - powerful laptop even though i wont be needing the horsepower)

so my question remains; anyone with negative experiences about a desktop CPU and GPU in a laptop?

But what will you be using it for? Gaming? If so, what games?
Design? If so what packages?

If for gaming, the 1070 won't be able to push a 4k screen without drastically reducing settings, which kind of defeats the object. Remember, these are laptop graphics, so less powerful than their desktop counterparts and you really want a desktop 1080ti minimum to push 4k.

The chassis handles the desktop CPU absolutely fine. Bear in mind as a desktop replacement, you trade things like weight and battery life. This is a really big and heavy chassis and you'll get maybe 1.5 hours battery life.

Last edited:

Rajen

I don't have a desktop so this will act as a portable desk top. Not planning on taking it out of the house at all. (already have the thin and light laptops for that) My main use will be for comp chess which needs the fastest possible CPU but has no use for the GPU. However recently a new AI chess programme is being developed that makes full use of nVidia GPU. The 4k screen is for watching Netflix in 4k

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Octane has seemed capable of managing the 8700k from the comments on the forum. Some users like to undervolt a bit to help manage temps.

qqdc

> 15.6 Octane
> the config option does not give a choice for Core 9900k or 9700k

I'd be very interested in this, too. But, it may be impossible, due to cooling issues?

E.g. See https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html and how it is fine under relatively light loads, but needs a sudden jump in power (and therefore cooling requirements) for the torture test, compared to an i7-8700K, which in turn is a large step up from the i7-7700K.
But if you cannot run a huge blender render, or build a large machine learning model (which can max out all cores for hours), or a *really hard* chess problem, without it throttling or melting the case, then there is no point is there.

I cannot find anything specific about the 9700K and high temperatures, yet; everyone seems to be moaning about (saying how expensive a cooling system you need for) the 9900K.