No video signal from new PC

WeeFlats

My friend just got a PC from you guys on Thursday, and since he doesn't plan on using it for gaming at all I told him not to bother getting a graphics card, because I have several older ones sitting around doing nothing.

However, I am unable to get any video output no matter what I do.

The Asus Prime X299-A motherboard shows a "d6" error code and beeps 4 times (one long, then 3 short in a row), both of which I believe indicate no video detected.

I've now tried 4 different graphics cards (in both available slots), I've tried VGA, DVI and HDMI cables, and I've tried hooking it to both a monitor and a PC. I've also tried re-seating the RAM 3 times, tried both sticks of RAM separately, and checked that every connection I can see is nice and snug, and nothing makes a difference.

Also because there's no on-board graphics I literally can't even get on the first rung of the ladder getting this set up. It's really frustrating as I've never had any issues like this in over 20 years of mucking about with PCs, and I feel like I've really let my friend down as I promised him I'd get it all set up for him, and also I recommended you guys to him in the first place.

Just wondering if there's anything else you can suggest I try before we look into getting it returned. :(

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd be interested to hear what the full spec, budget, and intended use for the system was as regardless of the error messages it may not be the best spec for the money/purpose anyway.

Returning for a refund, and potentially purchasing an alternative spec may be the best course of action.

WeeFlats

It's a core i7 with 16gb of DDR4 ram and will be used predominantly for music production.

I tried an Nvidia 1060, a 970, a 660ti and a 555 that I've had lying around for a while, all of which work fine in other PCs.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Apologies to Spydertracks who is trying to troubleshoot - but I would recommend returning the system.

Not because it's faulty necessarily, but because you bought an i7 on the X299 platform, which will perform worse and/or cost more versus an i7 or i9 on the consumer (Z370 etc) motherboards / an AMD Ryzen R7 2700x-based build.

Even if it worked flawlessly out of the box with your GPUs it would still likely be a good idea to return it for a refund and go back to the drawing board.

I'd suggest posting your full spec and the price so people here can suggest potential alternatives to illustrate the point.

WeeFlats

Corsair VS550 PSU, Corsair RAM as well, don't know the name of the case, anything else you need to know?

As far as I know everything is compatible, it's not like i'm using anything obscure at all. I've literally been at this for 2 days now and got precisely nowhere.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Corsair VS550 PSU, Corsair RAM as well, don't know the name of the case, anything else you need to know?

As far as I know everything is compatible, it's not like i'm using anything obscure at all. I've literally been at this for 2 days now and got precisely nowhere.

What Oussebon is asking for is a copy of the complete configurator settings your friend selected when he/she bought the PC. If you look towards the bottom of the configurator there are instructions on how to post the full spec to these fora. :)

WeeFlats

Well I don't have access to his account so I really can't tell you any more than that just now... Does anyone have even the slightest suggestion that I could try?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I really do suggest returning it for a refund as it looks like a bad spec.

I wouldn't waste time trying to troubleshoot it because even if it worked it was a waste of cash.