Linux Recoil 2 and other laptops: Install Ubuntu 18.10 Instructions, All Working

javram

Follow this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrkhWZ8-zvM

1. Download ISO: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you/?version=18.10&architecture=amd64
2. Download Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/
3. Set this options: https://i.stack.imgur.com/mSqZW.png and create bootable USB with the ISO you downloaded
4. Restart with USB Stick
5. Press F12 to enter menu
6. IMPORTANT: Press e. At the end of the line linux /casper.... add: --- nouveau.modeset=0
7. Press F10
8. Ubuntu live will load, touchpad will not work, use the mouse, we will fix that later.
9. Click on the install icon on the desktop
10. Follow instructions, be aware of the partitions. Select the default boot with Windows mode
11. Restart and remove USB stick
12. Now you should see Ubuntu and Windows options
13. Update Kernel to 4.19 to fix touchpad issue:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ukuu
open ukuu and select 4.19 and install.
Restart

14. Finally update Nvidia drivers following this:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

run nvidia-smi to verify driver

I hope this helps!

giucon

Hi, can I ask you on what partitions did you install Ubuntu? On my laptop the latest Ubuntu LTS with a live usb stick runs fine. Here is a screenshot of gparted that shows 4 partitions of my ssd with Windows 10 pre-installed by PCS partizioni.clevo[1].png I already know that the first EFI partition is needed, but I don't know if I can erase sda2 and sda3 shown in the attached picture. Obviously I'm gonna install Ubuntu only, no Windows (that I didn't purchase).
Thanks

Stephen M

Author Level
You can ignore that as Ubuntu will partition itself, just insert the USB and install following the screen prompts, probably best to go with nomodeset but I have no experience of this machine so you may not need to. When the installer gets to the choice of partition, if you are ditching W10 choose the erase disc and install Ubuntu. I took that route with my Octane and the EFI partition is where it should be.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have just looked at the Recoil and if you have the 1050ti GPU a driver update may be needed, the 390 does not work but the 410 does.

If you have GPU problems, possibly a log-in loop, open a tty terminal with ctrl+alt+f2 and run the command sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
follow with sudo apt-get update
then reboot.

You may have to update the drivers from a repository, if so follow the details in the OP.

giucon

You can ignore that as Ubuntu will partition itself, just insert the USB and install following the screen prompts, probably best to go with nomodeset but I have no experience of this machine so you may not need to. When the installer gets to the choice of partition, if you are ditching W10 choose the erase disc and install Ubuntu. I took that route with my Octane and the EFI partition is where it should be.

Thank you for your replay. I forgot to tell you my pc is an Ultranote V 15,6" with Intel UHD Graphics, so I don't need the 'nomodeset' flag. By the way, I don't feel safe letting ubuntu partitioning the hhd by himself, I prefer partitioning manually by myself with full control of the process, that's why I was asking how to partitioning the ssd.

Stephen M

Author Level
I have always gone with the Ubuntu installation so cannot really advise, although all you would need to keep is the efi partition. My set up is a FAT32 for the efi and ext4 for the other, there is not the extra partition you have on your hdd with Windows.

mike99

Hi, I've got a Recoil 2 with an Intel wireless card 9260. I've followed the procedure to install ubuntu but the net card doesn't work, I can't see the wireless card. With windows 10 it works fine. In ubuntu I've tried to install latest iwlwifi driver from intel website, but it still not working. Has anyone got a solution?

Stephen M

Author Level
This is a new one to me so not sure what to advise, although I would consider trying another 'nix distro to see is your wifi works with that, hopefully just trying a distro will be enough, rather than installing. Did you go with thr "Try Ubuntu" before installing, it would be interesting to know if the wifi was visible then, there is no reason why it should but these glitches are often never that logical.

Not sure if anything here helps but it seems this card has been problematic: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=intel+wireless+card+9260+and+ubuntu+download&t=canonical&ia=web

Last edited:

javram

Sorry, I just seen the replies now.

The main issue is the Graphic card. I have the 1060 but 1050 will have the same issue, you need the latest drivers. See step #14.
CentOs will not work, at least like time I checked.

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of months and I had no problems. My only issue is that I cannot set a different scale between my internal monitor and the external one which is 4K, so everything looks tiny on the main monitor.

mike99

I wrote to intel support for linux wireless drivers and they say that it's an open bug for my card and they don't have a solution.

Stephen M

Author Level
Sorry to hear that, are you able to get wifi with a USB device? I was going to suggest trying the firmware that is used alongside Debian as versions of that require a firmware installation but I cannot see that working now. Worth keeping an eye on the Ubuntu site of contacting the Ubuntu questions forum in case anyone is working on it.

If you get anywhere can you post back here.

vidhok

I just got Linux set up on a Recoil 2. Ubuntu 18.04 desktop version from a USB.

I used the normal installer - didn't boot into the live setup. Set it to install updates during installation, and the *only* problem I ran into during installation was hat it was randomly freezing after install until I booted in single user mode and followed instruction in this post re: Nvidia drivers.

Note that I've *not* upgraded to 4.19 (uname gives 4.18.0-15-generic), but the touchpad worked fine from the outset - I'm assuming Canonical may have backported the fix, possibly? The wifi drivers misbehave occasionally, but seems to reinitialize just fine by themselves (on my previous laptop - a HP Pavillion, with an older Ubuntu I had much worse problems with Intel's wifi chipsets and so I have a script lying about to restart the whole wifi stack, haven't needed to use that on my Recoil yet, which is a nice improvement). Wifi seemed a bit slow to find my networks, but that's about it.

Keyboard backlighting is "stuck" in the rainbow from boot, which I guess could be considered an issue, but it's not a problem for my use and so I havent yet tried to do anything about it.

Suspend also seems a bit wonky (it worked at some point, but on subsequent tries I got just a cursor on a black screen; chances are I've done something to mess it up while setting up my rather unconventional setup), but I don't really need/use suspend much, so I've just disabled it without investigating further.

Overall this is pretty close to the most trouble-free Linux install experience I've had (especially on anything with a "proper" graphics chipset..).

RedLineUK

Hi, just ordered a recoil 17 inch and waiting for it to be built, but I hoped in the coming months buy a second m.2 drive to put linux on only. When installing it to that drive, is it best to disconnect all other drives or can I just boot from the usb and select that drive from the installer with out any problems to have one ssd for windows only and one ssd for linux only with a hdd for general storage between the two?