My friends said I should update my BIOS regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepard

Enthusiast
We do not recommend updating the BIOS, unless there is a technical reason for it. Please be advised that changes on your BIOS, if not authorized through us, might also void your warranty. The act of flashing another BIOS does not void your warranty (i.e. Prima Mod), however if this flash breaks something we cannot cover the cost of repairing this.

We recommend only flashing the BIOS under our instruction, and using only PCS BIOS’es. If an issue occurs during a flash under our instruction, the warranty is not affected. If an issue occurs during a flash we have not recommended, we would not be able to cover the cost.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's important to realise that the BIOS is firmware and thus only one step removed from the hardware itself. It's not remotely similar to your operating system software or application software.

If the computer is working normally then the BIOS does not ned updating, even if it's decades old - as long as it's doing its job it's perfectly fine. BIOS code doesn't need security updates nor regular bug fixes

The only times you should consider updating the BIOS is when you are having problems with the computer that do not appear to be OS or application related, or if new features are added to a new version of the BIOS and you need these new features. PCS will be able to advise you whether any of the features introduced into new BIOS versions are necessary or advisable on your computer. PCS can also advise whether the problem you are having might be rectified by a BIOS update. It is wholly pointless risking a BIOS update to gain no additional benefit, so it's in your own interest to contact PCS first.

In addition, old BIOS code has been used by millions of people billions of times and is thus almost certainly error free. A recent BIOS update has probably only been used by a few hundred people a few thousand times and is thus nowhere near as well tested.

Finally, updating your BIOS carries a risk. These days the risk is small but it's still there. With a laptop always have the battery fully charged and the power connector plugged in so that a power outage won't interfere with the update process. With a PC I would personally advise getting a UPS to power the computer and monitor in the event of a power cut before updating the BIOS.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
BIOS code doesn't need security updates nor regular bug fixes
Some security improvements are indeed delivered via BIOS update (e.g. CPU microcode updates re: some versions of Spectre) - though these can also be handled by the OS.

But in general, absolutely, don't touch BIOS updates if there is no specific need - and if you think you might need a BIOS update, always follow PCS's guidance above first. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.