Pre-production

polycrac

Rising Star
So I'm on day 5 of waiting for my new build - and I'm still in pre-production...

This is my second PCS build so I know that drill, but for those new to the company, let me demystify it:

Day 1) Parts are selected and placed on satin pillows in a small, shrine-like booth.

Day 2) All PCS employees begin their day by walking past the booth, each whispering a single complement as they pass. Employees are encouraged to come up with their own, but typically things like 'Whoa, nice L3 cache, dude - nuff Mb' or 'What - only 2933 MHz? Surely not, you look like a full 3000 to me!'

Day 3) The day two parade is repeated, in addition, there is an icebreaker - small canapes and glasses of fizz are placed next to each component, while lounge jazz plays and the components are encouraged to make small-talk and get to know one another.

Day 4) Employee parade, followed by "The buffing" - Each component is cleansed with Unicorn tears and gently dried again with the silk of a spiderweb, spun under a blue moon.

Day 5+) Components are gently coaxed a little closer together, sometimes a few inches, sometimes just a few millimeters (at the discretion of PCS's Master Coaxer, who has more than 40 years experience of this) before the employee parade is repeated.

Eventually, when the Coaxer feels the time is right and the components have grown both physically and emotionally close enough, all activity in the site stops and Barry White is played at high volume (all uninvolved staff remove their head-wear and turn their backs, respectfully). Then and only then, does 'Assembly' begin. Testing is usually a formality, with the assembled PC being checked for enthusiasm, exuberance and empathy (in that exact order). Finally, when the truck pulls up for delivery a gong is sounded, goodbyes are said and the completed PC makes its way to its new owner.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This is a fantasy.

Components are not placed on satin pillows, they are boxed.

i.e. all components are forced to box until only the strongest remain. These are then removed from the arena and can be used in your system ("unboxing").

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
This is a fantasy.

Components are not placed on satin pillows, they are boxed.

i.e. all components are forced to box until only the strongest remain. These are then removed from the arena and can be used in your system ("unboxing").

I shudder to think what such things as "delidding" mean then! Poor, poor, components!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I rather think that Oussebon has misunderstood the boxing element of selection...

When an order is received all of the components of the same type and model in the warehouse are encourage to box one another, the objective being to find the strongest and fittest which is selected for the build. This is a sort of accelerated natural selection, the PCS staff even refer to it as 'Darwining the components'.

Polycrac is correct that they are then placed on a satin pillow, but that's only to transport them to the rest area where they recover from their boxing ordeal. They are kept in an oxygen-rich atmosphere and shielded from all electromagnetic interference until they are once again at peak fitness. PCS test for this by showing them pictures of an empty PC case, when they sparkle with excitement then they're ready, this is called 'teasing'.

After 'teasing' all the naturally selected components and placed in a well-ventilated green room with lots of free electrons for them to enjoy. Here they are encouraged to get to know one another better in the 'bonding' phase.

Once all the components have bonded they move to the team-building phase where they are given ever complex tasks to perform (such as crossing a river using only four PCIe connectors, a SATA port, and some thermal paste) as a group in order to foster a team spirit and an ethos of full and mutual cooperation. This phase can last a long time until the PCS staff are satisfied that all the components are cooperating fully to get the allocated task completed.

Only then do the components move into 'assembly' where a PCS technician monitors the components as they assist each other in installing themselves at their respective location. Marks are awarded by the technician for technical merit and artistic impression, these marks are available for your build on request.

In the 'Q&A' phase the components must prove that they can cooperate fully whilst flying inverted and pulling 7G as they calculate the speed of light in furlongs per fortnight. Only then are they ready for dispatch.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Are you allowed to choose which Barry White track is used? It could make a big difference to how well the RAM slots into the motherboard. For high end systems with a lot of RAM i might even request some Isaac Hayes.

Shepard

Enthusiast

The first rule of Unboxing is: You do not talk about Unboxing.
The second rule of Unboxing is: You do not talk about Unboxing.

Are you allowed to choose which Barry White track is used? It could make a big difference to how well the RAM slots into the motherboard. For high end systems with a lot of RAM i might even request some Isaac Hayes.
The german systems get to listen to Rammstein :walkman:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The first rule of Unboxing is: You do notThe german systems get to listen to Rammstein :walkman:

Surely that's only for the older Bulldozer builds? Maybe the new i9 9900k should be offered thrash metal too?

All this talk is making me want to repaste [rollinglaugh]

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Surely that's only for the older Bulldozer builds? Maybe the new i9 9900k should be offered thrash metal too?

All this talk is making me want to repaste [rollinglaugh]

That is one heck of a euphamism! Calm down! It's Friday. And we're British, don't you know...!?!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
You may be British.... I am an international man of mystery!

I worked on a NATO installation in Belgium about 10 years ago.

One of their server rooms was in a harderned shelter.

To get to it, you had to walk round a long, wide, corridor and every time I went there, I was reminded of the scene in Austin Powers where he's managed to get that golf cart sideways and is moving it backwards and forwards about 4 inches before hitting the wall.

That made me chuckle every single time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I worked on a NATO installation in Belgium about 10 years ago.

One of their server rooms was in a harderned shelter.

To get to it, you had to walk round a long, wide, corridor and every time I went there, I was reminded of the scene in Austin Powers where he's managed to get that golf cart sideways and is moving it backwards and forwards about 4 inches before hitting the wall.

That made me chuckle every single time.

Man, I love that scene! Love those films, all of them!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Man, I love that scene! Love those films, all of them!

Me too - I was late to the game watching them by a good ten years or so. My wife and bought the DVD box set on silly offer one day in Asda and as nothing was on TV one Saturday night we watched the first one.

Then the following two Saturdays were given over to the other two.

Genuine belly-laughs. That scene when he's behind the curtain and mini-me is in his wetsuit...the shadows...I almost choked laughing!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I hereby nominate Tony1044 and SpyderTracks for the 'Best Thread Drift' award...possibly

[rollinglaugh]