Recoil II Review

Audvise

Hi everyone,

I have purchased this laptop a few months ago and I think is a good time to share my experience. The configuration I'm using is i7-8750H / GTX 1060 / 32 Gb RAM / 500 Gb 970 Evo SSD / 144Hz Screen / Intel AC-9569 WiFi + BT / CM MasterGel Maker Thermal Compound / 3 Years gold warranty and I spent around £1500 on it.

The good stuff:
I will start by saying, I love this laptop. This is a 2kg power house that so far it handled everything without any problems. The screen is awesome, the design looks very professional and with a few tweaks I can get about 4.5 hours battery life which is very good for on the go browsing. The keyboard is very good and I am not bothered by the clicking sounds, in fact, gaming using the keyboard is very enjoyable. On a performance side, all the games I've tried so far had no issues running on ultra high settings and I can easily run a good amount of VMs while I'm playing those games (haven't tried nested VMs yet but I think this little beast can handle it). I love the fact that by removing the back cover I can easily access the internal parts (SSDs, RAM, battery, Wi-Fi card and the cooling system) which makes the maintenance and upgrades on laptop very easy.
In a nutshell, this laptop is awesome but ....

The bad stuff:
When I first received the laptop, the charger was faulty (which was causing the laptop to randomly switch of during heavy load), there were some problems with the chassis, there was a high pitch sound coming from the motherboard while connected to charger and a high pitch sound coming from the GPU while gaming. Contacted PCS, they asked me to create an RMA, the laptop was collected 5 days later (because DPD), it arrived to PCS office after 3 weeks (because DPD left it to an Amazon Warehouse), PCS did their test, changed the charger and the chassis (by replacing the chassis I believe they replaced the entire unit and add the extra parts), 2 days later the laptop was back on my desk (this time DPD did their job). When I started it, the charger was fine, but that high pitch sound was still there which made me believe that this is by design. Also, the laptop was getting hotter then before but this might not be an issue since there is a chance PCS forgot to add the CM Thermal compound on the new chassis and I plan to change the compound myself in the near future.

Conclusion:
I love this laptop, but for a technician it can be a bit annoying because of that high pitch sound. I have checked online and there are some updates for the BIOS and Gaming Center (which recently started to cause memory leak) but nothing from PCS so I will contact them directly to check if they can provide some updated drivers.

I would recommend this laptop to anyone because of it's price, features and simplicity and I believe this is best option on the market when it comes about mobility and intensive use.

Note: The high pitch sound is barely noticeable and is covered by the fan noise but is annoying because of my experience with other devices where when there was a barely noticeable high pitch sound it was sometimes followed by a massive fault (CPU, MB, Battery etc) which makes me a bit paranoid.

Apologies if there are any grammar mistakes, English is not my 1st language.

DST23

Thanks for reviewing this laptop. I'm curious as well about temps while idling and under load like gaming, if you wouldn't mind.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for reviewing this laptop. I'm curious as well about temps while idling and under load like gaming, if you wouldn't mind.

Just to let you guys know, that user hasn't been back to the site since posting that, and that's their only post, so it's quite likely they won't return.