Need to buy a test storage device

DraxDomax

Hello,

I am developing some software that manipulates a lot of data.

As a part of my load/performance testing, I need a storage device that can hold a quite a bit of data but also one that simulates a "commercial grade" storage device.

My criteria for the "power" of this device is:
Has to be "considerably" faster than a desktop. I CAN build my own desktop with a consumer-level mobo and consumer-level HD, but pretty sure that's not representative of how storage devices are made.
2TB of storage would be enough.

Cost is definitely a problem. I've mortgaged my house for this project. So, every buck spent is my family getting closer to living in the streets :)

Another way to look at it is: You can use your daily driver for transporting goods but it's not designed for that and you will have many problems (loading/unloading, capacity, accelerated wear out). So, what is the most entry level van I should buy?
(now change "van" to "professional file storage device")

DraxDomax

Been considering a SuperMicro mobo but I don't really know a lot about Hard Drives / Raid configurations, any beginner-level advice would be appreciated

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Been considering a SuperMicro mobo but I don't really know a lot about Hard Drives / Raid configurations, any beginner-level advice would be appreciated

As PCS sell custom desktops and laptops we can’t advise on self builds or competitor builds, if you’re wanting a PCS build I’d you post your max budget we can advise further.

DraxDomax

who said anything about self builds or competitor builds?

"As a part of my load/performance testing, I need a storage device that can hold a quite a bit of data but also one that simulates a "commercial grade" storage device."

Can you propose a build or not?

About budget. I want a successful machine, not a failure that stays within budget. If I told you "100 pounds" and you built something to that price but it failed, that's 100 pounds totally wasted.
I count on your experience and professionalism to suggest the optimal spec, concerning the goals described above.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
The problem you have is defining a "commercial grade" storage unit.

This could be a SAN. That then could be fibre attached, or iSCSI attached. If the latter, do you need it to be 10GB ethernet?

Do you mean a NAS?

Do you mean DAS?

Does it need to tier? SATA? SAS? 7.2k HDD, 10k HDD, 15k HDD? SSD?

It'd help enormously if you start be defining the storage.

I'm not trying to be unhelpful but you talk about storage then go on to talk about server motherboards (Supermicro).

Edit: By the way, when people are trying to help and you've made a comment like "Cost is definitely a problem. I've mortgaged my house for this project. So, every buck spent is my family getting closer to living in the streets"...why then get snarky when you're asked if you have a budget in mind? Remember the people trying to help you here don't work for PCS, we're all volunteering our time.

Last edited: