Future Build 4K

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all, its been a very long time since my last build, it's time for a major upgrade. New system, new build, new hardware.
But I need your help :(

So I recently got into 4K video editing working on side projects here and there. I would like to use the new system for 4K video editing, playing 4k games

My new system will be purchased via Finance as I don't have the full money available yet.

I'm after a system that will allow me to build in the near future. But I'm all about RGB, RGB, RGB also storage space.

I came up with the following setup, what do you guys and gals think:

Case
BE QUIET! DARK BASE PRO 900 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE

Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-7960X 16 Core (2.80GHz @ up to 4.5GHz)
FREE Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 & More w/ select Intel CPUs!

Motherboard
ASUS® ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME: DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI, WIFI - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card
11GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, DP

1st Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
FREE Assassin's Creed: Odyssey with select SAMSUNG SSDs!

2nd Hard Disk
12TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE

Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Braided Power Supply Cables
Coloured Braided PSU Cable Kit - Black/Blue

Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Extra Case Fans
5x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
ASUS PCE-AC88 AC3100 2100Mbps/5GHz, 1000Mbps/2.4GHz

USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]

Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Game Streaming
Elgato Game Capture 4K60 PRO - PCIe Card

Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)

Price £5,424.00 including VAT and Delivery

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Case : I went with this style as there is major room for storage space also tempered glass. Downside no option to add case fan controller
CPU : There are wide range of CPUs, i9 are the latest models but I don't have much knowledge on which model to choose. I heard the i9-7980XE consumes alot of watts also not worth for the price?
Motherboard : Room for adding additional hardware in the future
Memory (RAM) : 32GB RGB for now but in future can be upgraded to maybe 128GB
Graphics Card 1 : Top of the range, latest version currently released
Graphics Card 2 : Later I will add the same GPU ( 11GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, DP )
1st Hard Disk : Should be able to handle 4K files
2nd Hard Disk : Space for projects etc
Processor Cooling : I wanted to use the best cooler not having to go into water cooling, are there any other options?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Perfectly ideal for 4k editing though I'd probably change the m.2 to the 2tb 970 evo just because 4k files can be huge.

Also you will be waiting ages like I am for your strix 2080ti.

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
@marcuslee429, Cheers for reply mate.

So your saying I should change the hard drive 2 into "2tb 970 evo"?

Would I be able to play 4k games with the setup and at the same time running software in the background maybe rendering 4K files ?

BTW, how long have you been waiting for strix 2080ti ?

In places my order back on 7th Oct originally had the 2080ti dual but changed it when I noticed they started doing the strix.

Yeah I've seen 4k video files been in access of 500gb each. So 2tb would be better.

As for gaming if you are running at 4k and using nvidia shadowplay you should see no performance drop.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would up your cooling to the highest option (Corsair 115?). That's going to be a toasty chip so you want to maximise your cooling in order to get the most out of the overclock/longevity. Definitely drop the SSD for an M2 drive, night and day performance difference.

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
In places my order back on 7th Oct originally had the 2080ti dual but changed it when I noticed they started doing the strix.

Yeah I've seen 4k video files been in access of 500gb each. So 2tb would be better.

As for gaming if you are running at 4k and using nvidia shadowplay you should see no performance drop.

Yeah the strix is good choice especially if your into RGB lols. Cheers for the info on gaming, just don't want to spend alot of money only to find out games lag, now that would be a total shame.

I would up your cooling to the highest option (Corsair 115?). That's going to be a toasty chip so you want to maximise your cooling in order to get the most out of the overclock/longevity. Definitely drop the SSD for an M2 drive, night and day performance difference.

@The_Scotster, Cheers for reply mate.
Rite, I see. So I have now modified the build changed the cooling into CORSAIR H115I PRO CPU COOLER with ultra quiet fans. But I realized the cooling is "Liquid" that is something I've never done neither have any knowledge on. It's not hassle to refill the liquid/maintenance etc mate?

My 1st Hard Disk is 1TB Samsung 860 EVO your saying I should change it into an "1st M.2 SSD Drive" ? maybe 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 ?

Also, in regards to changing cooling into CORSAIR H115I PRO CPU COOLER with ultra quiet fans that would mean I won't be able to add "Fan Controller Kit" for Extra Case Fans, or do you think there is no point?

The corsair aio water coolers are enclosed loop so no filling required. Also I would save a few quid and remove the quiet fans. Yes m.2 ssd have 6x faster read speeds 2tb would also be ample space.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
@The_Scotster, Cheers for reply mate.
Rite, I see. So I have now modified the build changed the cooling into CORSAIR H115I PRO CPU COOLER with ultra quiet fans. But I realized the cooling is "Liquid" that is something I've never done neither have any knowledge on. It's not hassle to refill the liquid/maintenance etc mate?

My 1st Hard Disk is 1TB Samsung 860 EVO your saying I should change it into an "1st M.2 SSD Drive" ? maybe 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 ?

Also, in regards to changing cooling into CORSAIR H115I PRO CPU COOLER with ultra quiet fans that would mean I won't be able to add "Fan Controller Kit" for Extra Case Fans, or do you think there is no point?

It's a sealed unit, no need to re-fill or anything. Fully closed loop system so no maintenance required.

970 Evo is the best bang for buck IMO. Size is up to yourself, completely budget dependent.

I wouldn't bother with the fan controller kit at all. The Corsair comes with it's own software etc for on-board control. The 115 comes with good size fans so them along with the standard case fans should be more than enough. Personally I would keep the quiet fans in though, the stock ones are LOUD.

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
Nice! Great news for the CPU cooler if no maintenance is required!

So at the moment:

I've ONLY added 1 HD/SSD onto the build: 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 if I add another 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 it will cost extra £500!, I think this is too much.
I can use 1 970 for the 4K files/video editing, installing software's & games.

What should I add for the 1st Hard Disk etc ? Do you guys think I should go for Samsung 860 EVO SSD or perhaps something like 12TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO ?

When I add : CORSAIR H115I PRO CPU COOLER with ultra quiet fans I'm not able to add "extra fan case".

Do you guy's think I should bother about sound card? I would like to playback 4k movies DTS HD MA 5.1 / 7.1

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 2tb one should be more than enough storage for general use. I would go for a 4-6TB drive for basic storage. 12GB is a bit much but I guess it's all relative.

I wouldn't bother with extra case fans.

I wouldn't bother with a sound card. On board audio is decent on most boards nowadays. At this level it's fairly premium.

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
The 2tb one should be more than enough storage for general use. I would go for a 4-6TB drive for basic storage. 12GB is a bit much but I guess it's all relative.

I wouldn't bother with extra case fans.

I wouldn't bother with a sound card. On board audio is decent on most boards nowadays. At this level it's fairly premium.

Yeah 2tb would be ideal for now as it's 6x faster as mentioned by @marcuslee429.
When it comes to storage I suppose more can be added as there is plenty room: 7 x 3.5" bays & 15 x 2.5" bays

Do you think software's & games should be installed on SSD and everyday use material on normal HDs ?

Also, when it comes to the fans as standard comes with : 2 x 140mm front case fans & 1 x 140mm rear case fan. Are these fans reasonable or would you recommend changing it?

I wanted to double check what so far is RGB: Motherboard, RAM, GPU

Can I modify/add anything to the build to make it more RGB?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah 2tb would be ideal for now as it's 6x faster as mentioned by @marcuslee429.
When it comes to storage I suppose more can be added as there is plenty room: 7 x 3.5" bays & 15 x 2.5" bays

Do you think software's & games should be installed on SSD and everyday use material on normal HDs ?

Also, when it comes to the fans as standard comes with : 2 x 140mm front case fans & 1 x 140mm rear case fan. Are these fans reasonable or would you recommend changing it?

I wanted to double check what so far is RGB: Motherboard, RAM, GPU

Can I modify/add anything to the build to make it more RGB?

Yeah, plenty of space for more drives further down the line. I tend to have common games and programs on the fastest drive. The storage is for all non-working files. If I want to work on something, photoshop/premiere, I tend to copy over to the desktop for maximum speed.

RAM, GPU and Motherboard should be nice in RGB. You could change the case fans further down the line if you wanted I guess but that's not really my bag :)

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, plenty of space for more drives further down the line. I tend to have common games and programs on the fastest drive. The storage is for all non-working files. If I want to work on something, photoshop/premiere, I tend to copy over to the desktop for maximum speed.

RAM, GPU and Motherboard should be nice in RGB. You could change the case fans further down the line if you wanted I guess but that's not really my bag :)

Nice, sounds like a decent setup you have. Well I will be using 970 EVO M.2 for all software's & games and ofcourse when working with project files.
The case fans 3 in total, can they be changed with ease or would it require some wiring to be done. I was planning to replace the case fans so they go with RGB.
I wanted to double check with you mate; RAM, GPU and Motherboard would they all sync together?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Nice, sounds like a decent setup you have. Well I will be using 970 EVO M.2 for all software's & games and ofcourse when working with project files.
The case fans 3 in total, can they be changed with ease or would it require some wiring to be done. I was planning to replace the case fans so they go with RGB.
I wanted to double check with you mate; RAM, GPU and Motherboard would they all sync together?

They are very straight forward to change. Usually either 2 or 4 screws with a plug and play header. No wiring required.

In your shoes I would give PCS a call and see what sort of lighting customisation they can add for you. RGB fan replacement will likely be an option that they can help out with right now. That way you could have everything perfectly synced for delivery. Calling them up seems to be the real key to the customisation. There's only so much you can do on a website :)

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
They are very straight forward to change. Usually either 2 or 4 screws with a plug and play header. No wiring required.

In your shoes I would give PCS a call and see what sort of lighting customisation they can add for you. RGB fan replacement will likely be an option that they can help out with right now. That way you could have everything perfectly synced for delivery. Calling them up seems to be the real key to the customisation. There's only so much you can do on a website :)

Sweet! Simple nothing more I can ask for :)

Yeah, when I'm almost ready to order will give PCS call or maybe send an email. Do you think I can add anything else or is there anything I might be missing with the build whether its RGB or components?

I currently have 1x Asus PB287Q & 2x BenQ GL2450H monitors with my old setup. But planning to purchase ultrawide 4k monitor curved.

Do you think I should go all out and opt for another GPU and make it SLI ? I read very good reviews on 2080ti SLI.

If you are gaming an ssd can lower loaf times by over half so I'd consider ssd over hdd. I've put a 1tb m.2 for boot drive and 2 2tb evo ssd' s for steam library
Then a 6tb hdd for storage.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Personally I wouldn't bother with SLI. It's something that can be added at any time anyway so you would be as well running with the Ti and seeing how it goes. It's a monster of a card anyway :)

If you are gaming an ssd can lower loaf times by over half so I'd consider ssd over hdd. I've put a 1tb m.2 for boot drive and 2 2tb evo ssd' s for steam library

The games are going on the primary M2 drive which will be significantly faster than even a conventional SSD drive. HDD, as suggested, is purely for storage.

steve.r

Bronze Level Poster
LED Lighting - 2x 50cm RGB LED Strip for 18£

I tried to add onto build but was coming up with an error msg.

"The case you have selected includes 2 RGB LED strips as standard.
Please remove the LED strips from your selection.

Unfortunately the case you have selected does not support LED lighting. Please select a different case or alternatively remove the LED lighting from your configuration."

So I assume not able to add the RGB LED strips ? Or should I mention it when I speak with PCS about the other component (CPU Cooler)

Yeah, SSD will be much better compared to HDD. I can always use the m.2 drive for software & games installs. Also, can use it for project when working with 4K stuff.

Personally I wouldn't bother with SLI. It's something that can be added at any time anyway so you would be as well running with the Ti and seeing how it goes. It's a monster of a card anyway :)

The games are going on the primary M2 drive which will be significantly faster than even a conventional SSD drive. HDD, as suggested, is purely for storage.

Cheers, I shall keep it with single RTX 2080 ti for the time being, later can be upgraded if needs be.

Guy's have you tried SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO, I was looking at the 10TB/12TB versions.
These PRO HDDs are much better than standard HDDs ?

Also, how about added optical drives for both BluRay & DvDs