Install additional HD on Lafité 13.3"

yokozuma

Hi guys, I have a Lafité 13.3", two years old now. On the original spec it's got '1 x M.2 SSD Port (max. 512GB SSD)'.

Just checking if I wanted to add an additional drive it would have to be a proper M.2 drive and that a standard SSD drive with an M.2 connector wouldn't fit?

Thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The Lafite II (assuming this is what you have?) will have 1 M.2 slot and 1 2.5" drive bay.

If you've used the M.2 slot, this leaves you the 2.5" bay free. So you can add a 2.5" HDD or 2.5" Sata SSD. Or you can replace your M.2 SSD with a different M.2 SSD of course, if you really want to.

If your current M.2 SSD is a Sata M.2 rather than PCIe/NVMe, then you could in principle put it into a 2.5" adapter e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-2-5in-SATA-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ITJ7U20 , put it in the 2.5" bay, and install a fast NVMe SSD into your M.2 slot.

What is your current spec (copy and paste from your main PCS account) and what exactly do you want to do with it in terms of upgrading storage?

yokozuma

The Lafite II (assuming this is what you have?) will have 1 M.2 slot and 1 2.5" drive bay.

If you've used the M.2 slot, this leaves you the 2.5" bay free. So you can add a 2.5" HDD or 2.5" Sata SSD. Or you can replace your M.2 SSD with a different M.2 SSD of course, if you really want to.

If your current M.2 SSD is a Sata M.2 rather than PCIe/NVMe, then you could in principle put it into a 2.5" adapter e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-2-5in-SATA-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ITJ7U20 , put it in the 2.5" bay, and install a fast NVMe SSD into your M.2 slot.

What is your current spec (copy and paste from your main PCS account) and what exactly do you want to do with it in terms of upgrading storage?

Thanks. Just got round to installing a new Samsung 500GB M.2 drive into the laptop however on reboot I just get a flashing underscore after the flash screen.

Checked the BIOS and the original 250gb SSD is still set as the boot drive and I removed the new M.2 drive from the boot menu just to be safe, same issue on reboot.

Removed the M.2 drive and the SSD boots back to windows which was a relief. Is there anything I need to do to get the ssd to boot with the M/2 installed?

Thanks. Original specs below.

Lafité Silver Aluminium Chassis: 13.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Intel® Core™ i5 Dual Core Processor i5-6200U (2.30GHz, 2.8GHz Turbo)
8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 510 [Pentium] | INTEL® HD GRAPHICS 520 [Core™]
250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

azzy

Interesting thread here! Like OP I wanted to add an M2 drive to compliment my Evo 500GB but for love nor money I couldn't get it to boot from the M2 no matter what I tried. I got in touch with the PCS guys and we went back and forth on it for a while, but even then we couldn't get it to work. In the end, I think they thought it was some sort of BIOS issue (we tried updating it but were unsuccessful). So eventually I sent the drive back and got a refund! I'm planning to get a new laptop soon and will be sure to get both drives installed for me before arrival :)

Can't fault the PCS team though - they did their absolute utmost to help me out, which is awesome considering I didn't buy the additional M2 drive from them.

Did you get any resolution on this?

Stephen M

Author Level
Too late to help now but may be worth knowing. i have had problems with drives when the BIOS would not recognise them and was unable to install any OS. By using Gparted: https://gparted.sourceforge.io/ I was able to format the drive and after that it was fine, although you probably tried that.