RTX - the results are in!

aarpri972

Bronze Level Poster
so without ray tracing these cards kick the last gens all over the place. with ray tracing turned on they suck.

So the answer just turn that feature off? It's the first of its kind its not going to be amazing.

it also looks like dice haven't even bothered to optimise the technology either with their game. more like its an after thought.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
<snip> so without ray tracing these cards kick the last gens all over the place. </snip>

IMO, from a cost perspective, they really don't at all.

GTX1080ti, give or take, matches the RTX2080 and is cheaper.

The AI antialiasing is all that's left IMO.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
IMO, from a cost perspective, they really don't at all.

GTX1080ti, give or take, matches the RTX2080 and is cheaper.

The AI antialiasing is all that's left IMO.
Exactly this.

Or to see if there are any better / more efficient implementations of ray tracing in other games, though I don't hold my breath.

1080 ti stocks are nearly gone I gather. RTX 2080 price will probably not come down much either...

Lack of any competition in the area really sucks. AMD's Navi next year is apparently not expected to beat a 1080 ti (it's aiming mid-range) and Lisa Su, the CEO, gave an interview where she said AMD were building a long term foundation for competing in high end graphics. Which everyone seemed to read as "Yay, AMD are working on high end graphics" but I read as "Of course they're working on high end consumer GPUs, but not for 2019 release..."

Last edited:

mishra

Rising Star
so without ray tracing these cards kick the last gens all over the place. with ray tracing turned on they suck.
So the answer just turn that feature off? It's the first of its kind its not going to be amazing.

While this statement is true. That gimmick feature should not justify the extreme price increase over last gen that Nvidia ask for these cards! Ideally they should release GTX 2080 / ti at slight price increase and forget about the whole RTX until hardware is ready for it. I really feel the pain for people who pre-ordered this cards in a hope to play 1440p/4K with RTX feature. Cause basically nobody buys such expensive cards in order to play 1080p. That's the whole joke about it all.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Cause basically nobody buys such expensive cards in order to play 1080p. That's the whole joke about it all.
Nobody should. Unfortunately, and despite our best efforts on these forums, they do anyway. :(

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For those preferring articles to videos:
2160.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/4.html

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So there has been a patch for BFV and the performance has improved significantly:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1759-ray-tracing-benchmarks-vol-2/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...attlefield_V_Tides_of_War_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/

It seems the hit to fidelity has been generally quite minor, certainly versus the performance gains. Although the performance hit is still large and there are areas where both pre and post patch the image quality gains were pretty small.

But Nvidia's claims of upto 50% improved performance are apparently legit, so that's good news.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So there has been a patch for BFV and the performance has improved significantly:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1759-ray-tracing-benchmarks-vol-2/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...attlefield_V_Tides_of_War_RTX_DXR_Raytracing/

It seems the hit to fidelity has been generally quite minor, certainly versus the performance gains. Although the performance hit is still large and there are areas where both pre and post patch the image quality gains were pretty small.

But Nvidia's claims of upto 50% improved performance are apparently legit, so that's good news.

That is good news. TBH, this is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Nvidia. I know they mess up quite frequently and release a buggy driver but they’re usually quick to correct it and their ongoing support is superb.

Good to see the mobile versions going up today. Very tempted by the Recoil II 2060.. if only it didn't have the clicky keyboard which puts me off. Wonder if the Defiance XS will make another return with an RTX chip...

Last edited:

Unre4L

No HDMI 2.1. No TB3. Even if you are not a hardcore gamer, these cards physically cannot support any HQ content.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
4k 120Hz HDR over a single cable? Nearly all CES 2019 tvs support this.

And if those TV's have been revealed at CES, they'll cost around the 10000 mark. There's a big difference between having HDMI 2.1 and actually being able to output at those figures.

Most devices this year will have 2.1, but they won't be able to actually output at those refresh rates for years to come without costing the earth.

There are currently a handful of 144Hz 4k monitors but the cost 2k each.

That's a rediculous thing to say, there's absolutely no requirement for that kind of output at the moment and won't be for many years.

And DP 1.4 which is on most devices can handle 4K 120hz anyway. Most gamers would opt for DP over HDMI.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
RTX 2060 out on PCS configurators now, £359. About £60 less than a 1070 and £100 less than a 1070 ti. ~£180 less than an RTX 2070.

If it delivers ~1070 ti performance as expected, that's a bit better value than the rest of the RTX lineup in terms of raw performance with RTX features as a bonus.

8beat

I'm just wondering why the i7-8850H disappeared from the Defiance series... Sure the i9-8950HK took its place in the Defiance V (GTX), but the Defiance VI (RTX) gives no choice (i7-8750H only); think we can expect an evolution next February (post-official mobile RTX release)?