RTX 2080 ti...

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
It's not something I've followed at all closely but I read somewhere (no idea of source, sorry) that the issues only seem to affect the FE versions.

Either way, it's a costly proposition for NVidia if true.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
They’ve updated the post to say it’s due to stock shortages, nothing to do with recall.

BUT! That’s not to say they’re telling the truth! Unfortunately the big players will say anything to protect their investors interests and it’s been known especially recently for them to flat out lie and come round with the truth a few weeks later.

Flipping heck. The few bits I've read about this don't suggest anything at all to do with shortages - just poor silicon would be my guess.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Hate it when companies pull this kind of trick. It was like Apple and their "you're holding it wrong" statements.

When you're paying - especially a premium - you should be respected for it and told the truth.

I just bought some solid aftershave to try. Got a note from Royal Mail saying it'd cost more in their fees to get through customs than the aftershave itself.

I mailed the company who I bought it from to say that although I did not blame them in the slightest for this, I wouldn't be held to ransom by their courier and pay their exhorbitant fees. They mailed back apologising, offering to cover the costs. I couldn't let them do that as they're not a big company and it'd not only have wiped out their profit, it'd have been a straight-up loss, so I've offered to go halves. Not in the same league in terms of costs, of course, but these companies could learn a thing or two about customer service.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hate it when companies pull this kind of trick. It was like Apple and their "you're holding it wrong" statements.

When you're paying - especially a premium - you should be respected for it and told the truth.

I just bought some solid aftershave to try. Got a note from Royal Mail saying it'd cost more in their fees to get through customs than the aftershave itself.

I mailed the company who I bought it from to say that although I did not blame them in the slightest for this, I wouldn't be held to ransom by their courier and pay their exhorbitant fees. They mailed back apologising, offering to cover the costs. I couldn't let them do that as they're not a big company and it'd not only have wiped out their profit, it'd have been a straight-up loss, so I've offered to go halves. Not in the same league in terms of costs, of course, but these companies could learn a thing or two about customer service.

Yep, totally agree.

Nvidia from what I’ve heard are taking a massive hit with the 2000 series. A few people preordered (why???), but as soon as the day tracing performance metrics went public, sales ground to a halt. They’ve downgraded their earnings estimate for this quarter by quite some margin and investors aren’t happy. This kind of reaction I think is to be expected. I’d they admit a recall, their stocks are going to nosedive.

polycrac

Rising Star
The thing about the rtx series is, without Ray-tracing - what is it for?

I have tried the 1080ti and the 20280 ti in the same PC (both courtesy of work, not bought by me), OK, so I'm an old man with tired eyes, but I can't tell the difference (at 1440p) between 130 fps and 150fps. Maybe at 4K the difference is stark enough to matter, but that's not a massive market.

Does anyone know if they have kept up production of the 10 series, or are they just shifting existing stock?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The thing about the rtx series is, without Ray-tracing - what is it for?

I have tried the 1080ti and the 20280 ti in the same PC (both courtesy of work, not bought by me), OK, so I'm an old man with tired eyes, but I can't tell the difference (at 1440p) between 130 fps and 150fps. Maybe at 4K the difference is stark enough to matter, but that's not a massive market.

Does anyone know if they have kept up production of the 10 series, or are they just shifting existing stock?

They’re still producing the 10 series apart from the 1080ti which is totally finished.

Ray tracing has only just last week been enabled on windows and only if you updated to 1809. If you hadn’t there wouldn’t have been any difference other than increased frames.

polycrac

Rising Star
How about dlss? The early reviews of the 20 series mostly said 'could be nice but we haven't been able to try it'.