Old 2600k, shall i overclock her?

nicmcc

Right so bottleneck right now on my system with CPU

Is it a good idea to OC this upto say 4,500mhz?

ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO V3 - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved (has a massive fan on the top)
Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTMi7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8P67 (NEW REV 3.0): USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireXTM
CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU
INTEL SOCKET LGA1155/1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Got a GTX 980 in there also

Never OC'd before, done the research on how to do it but before i waste hours crashing my PC just wanted to check if it's even worth it on the above:
- with my CPU cooling and from my research would suggest don't bother as it wont like it.
- My CPU is only bottle necking at 5% based on a calculator, is it even worth the OC? i'm not gonna get 10 extra FPS am i.

PC is coming to end of life gonna likely get a new one next year sometime so i'm not fussed about the chip getting spanked.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
- My CPU is only bottle necking at 5% based on a calculator,
What calculator?

Depends what games you're playing as to whether you'd get any real benefit. And on what monitor you use. Even if you are CPU bound in a game, no point boosting performance to 80fps up from 70fps if you're on a 60hz monitor...

Also, is that just the stock Intel cooler in there? I don't think I'd try that kind of OC on an i7 on a stock Intel cooler..

nicmcc

Normal 60hz 1080 monitor
Struggle to get consistent FPS over 50 on assassins creed odyssey atm (modest/high settings) 980GTX and 8GB ram so thinking its the CPU or ofc more likely AC is an unoptimized mess but what AAA game isnt these days.

Yea thats the direct C&P of the cooler spec from the order from PCS back in 2011. I expect that alone answers the question of bothering or not?

edit: this calculator
https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This website is garbage. Never visit it again, unless for explicit lol purposes :)

Core i7-3770K will need at least 16GB of RAM to work well. Memory should be splitted in 2 sticks if your motherboard supports dual-channel memory layouts, otherwise in 1 stick.
Ofc... my 3770k only just gets by with 16gb RAM. And I'll make sure my RAM has been splitted. :smartass:

But yes, any site that claims to automatically calculate anything about your PC is probably lying out of it's proverbial.

Struggle to get consistent FPS over 50 on assassins creed odyssey atm (modest/high settings)
+

so thinking its the CPU or ofc more likely AC is an unoptimized mess
You've hit the nail on the head there. AC Odyssey is a beast, and it hasn't gone unnoticed that Ubisoft's recommended hardware spec actually targets 30fps, not 60...

I'll link to this performance review with the CPU analysis section titled: "CPU Performance - What was Ubisoft thinking?"
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/assassin_s_creed_odyssey_pc_performance_review/7

It's even more brutal than AC Origins as far as I can tell. I recently finished AC Origins, which actually crashed periodically on my PC until I increased my CPU voltage by 25mv. The OC is 4.6GHz at 1.275v, but had to go to 1.3v for AC Origins - the OC is rock solid stable for everything else I've ever done with the PC including stability and torture testing... :/

So I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle, besides which you want a decent CPU cooler for overclocking, not the stock Intel one.

nicmcc

Cool cheers, think i'll leave it and see if Shadow of the tomb raider does any better which is the next one up.

Is so odd because i sunk 120 hrs into origins and had a great experience, Odyssey feels like playing in mud sometimes... perhaps i should not of been so quick to judge my hardware is outdated when it probably isnt.