High end 3D animation build

philem

Alright chaps - I am a Mac user for 13 years and want to change.
Using this for high end 3d animation, graphics, rendering etc. Really want to push the boundries with fluid dynamics and all that good stuff.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this spec, i'm guessing you'll know a bit more than me so suggestions welcome!

Thanks a lot
Lem

Case CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core CPU (3.0GHz-4.2GHz, 80MB CACHE)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 AORUS XTREME: E-ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM) 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
2nd Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive 1TB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Power Supply CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H150i PRO Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Anti-Virus Norton Security Deluxe 3.0: 1 User, 5 Devices - 1 Year Subscription

Frank100

Rising Star
Hello,

A lot depends on the programs you will be using and their ability to use a CPU only, or a CPU and a GPU. The choice of GPU might also be affected by the type of work you want to do. The Quadro series cards are intended for graphical design and 3D work is precisely what they were designed for. The consumer grade GTX (and now RTX) cards are very capable at non-gaming work and the Quadros far more expensive, but there are situations where a lower spec Quadro will perform better than a higher spec GTX. I think it's worth doing a bit of Googling before making a decision but bear in mind, Nvidia wants you to buy the more expensive Quadro card and some sites might not want to be bold and risk suggesting a consumer grade card.

If the programs you use are very well GPU supported the CPU might not be utilised as much as you expect. Sometimes the CPU just gives out work to the GPU(s) but doesn't also do any processing. The 32 cores might not all get used. You might find slightly fewer cores but a higher clock speed better.

For storage the M.2 SATA modules might be worth looking at. There are two types, one type runs off the SATA bus and therefore offer the same performance as the SSD drives. The other type uses the PCIe bus and offer much faster speeds, potentially 4x faster (or higher) than the SSD. Prices aren't massively dissimilar.

Unless you want to go with water cooling you could get the Noctua air cooler. It is whisper quiet and will easily keep the CPU cool even when running at 100% loads for hours or days. It's also cheaper and the money could be spent elsewhere instead.

In summary, it depends on your needs. Maybe do some research and post back details of the programs you will use, the types of work you will be doing, file sizes, complexities etc.

Frank100

philem

Hi Frank - apologies, I never received a notification of your response.

Thanks for the input man, i will def take a look online...