Recoil II vs Defiance V

Hello,

You may remember me from my Octane III thread, less than an hour ago. I have come to the decision to choose between the following two specs when I get my refund:

Defiance V:

Chassis & Display Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 120Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (2560x1440) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD
1st M.2 SSD Drive 500GB WD Black™ M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3400MB/s R | 2500MB/s W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive 256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)

£1,715.00 inc VAT and Delivery

OR

Recoil II:

Chassis & Display Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)Processor
(CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive 256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)

£1,469.00inc VAT and Delivery

I basically want to use it for gaming, with my favorite games being Rust, Total War Warhammer 2, Rainbow Six Siege, XCOM 2, Football Manager, ARMA 3 etc. The defiance is more expensive, but the 1070 graphics card probably would be worth it? I really like the look of the Recoil II though, it looks really sleek but then again, since i'm buying this on finance, which is a 4 year contract, I want the best computer I can get that will still be running well in four years time (difficult to predict, I know)

Edit: I've also noticed that there are some "review" versions of the recoil II which seem to be a bit cheaper? What's the deal with that??

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The GTX 1070 is more powerful than the GTX 1060 (obvs..) but you also really need that extra horsepower if you are going with the 1440p screen, as running games at 1440p is more demanding (more pixels to push). So although the card is more powerful, you won't expect much higher framerates - the point of the 1070 and the 1440p screen is that the higher res screen should mean a more detailed picture. Insofar as you benefit from higher resolutions on smaller screens versus 24/27" external monitors.

The Defiance also has a gsync screen, and a high refresh rate screen, which will mean smoother gameplay as the screen's refresh rate is synchronised to your graphics card's fps. So you don't get the stutter or tearing you might be familiar with on a regular 60hz monitor where your FPS drops to e.g. 40fps.

gsync arguably adds an element of futureproofing in that you'll be able to keep settings higher for further into the future, as newer, more demanding games causing FPS drops won't be as big of an issue.

In terms of the storage, just get a single 1TB SSD. Getting 2 SSDs means more hassle managing space between them, and also uses up 2 M.2 slots, making any future additions less practical.

The Recoil is significantly lighter than other equivalent 15.6" models like the Optimus, let alone a 17.3" one like the Defiance. So if mobility is a factor, consider that.

Though even the Defiance is a bit lighter than an Octane I think (I saw your other thread btw, cancelling was absolutely the right call imo)

I've also noticed that there are some "review" versions of the recoil II which seem to be a bit cheaper? What's the deal with that??
The Review specs are basically promotional specs which come with fixed configurations, but a discounted price.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I've also noticed that there are some "review" versions of the recoil II which seem to be a bit cheaper? What's the deal with that??.

Yeah they were literally sent out to various review sites for exactly that purpose - to be reviewed. Once returned to PCS, they're sold on in that exact spec they were sent out.

The GTX 1070 is more powerful than the GTX 1060 (obvs..) but you also really need that extra horsepower if you are going with the 1440p screen, as running games at 1440p is more demanding (more pixels to push). So although the card is more powerful, you won't expect much higher framerates - the point of the 1070 and the 1440p screen is that the higher res screen should mean a more detailed picture. Insofar as you benefit from higher resolutions on smaller screens versus 24/27" external monitors.

The Defiance also has a gsync screen, and a high refresh rate screen, which will mean smoother gameplay as the screen's refresh rate is synchronised to your graphics card's fps. So you don't get the stutter or tearing you might be familiar with on a regular 60hz monitor where your FPS drops to e.g. 40fps.

gsync arguably adds an element of futureproofing in that you'll be able to keep settings higher for further into the future, as newer, more demanding games causing FPS drops won't be as big of an issue.

In terms of the storage, just get a single 1TB SSD. Getting 2 SSDs means more hassle managing space between them, and also uses up 2 M.2 slots, making any future additions less practical.

The Recoil is significantly lighter than other equivalent 15.6" models like the Optimus, let alone a 17.3" one like the Defiance. So if mobility is a factor, consider that.

Though even the Defiance is a bit lighter than an Octane I think (I saw your other thread btw, cancelling was absolutely the right call imo)

The Review specs are basically promotional specs which come with fixed configurations, but a discounted price.

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to lean towards the Defiance for the future proofing aspect, despite how nifty the Recoil looks. I've got a bit more time to think about it as I want the order I currently have to be definitely cancelled before I purchase a new one. Thanks for explaining gsync, as I had no idea what it was.

Yeah they were literally sent out to various review sites for exactly that purpose - to be reviewed. Once returned to PCS, they're sold on in that exact spec they were sent out.

Ah okay, so you're buying the actual computer that was sent out?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ah okay, so you're buying the actual computer that was sent out?
No, otherwise they'd only be able to sell 1 :) And they probably sell a few hundred. But it's identical, same components.