FPS Drop when i unplug the power charger.

Reamzy

Hello. I have a month already since i got this laptop and i have one problem. This occured after like 2 weeks that everything was right.
So the problem is when I unplug the power charger games are dropping in low FPS.

I checked Power Options are all the time it was set to High Performance so i don't think it goes automatically into Power Saving Mode.

Any idea is welcome.

Reamzy

It's the Next Day Delivery build of Defiance V

Chassis & Display Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3210MB/sR | 1315MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor 1 x 200W AC Adaptor
Battery Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (66WH)
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + Sound BlasterX® Pro-Gaming 720˚
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C Ports

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Despite the power scheme remaining unchanged it's likely that there are different settings in there for on battery and on power. You should go through the power options you have and check. Obviously something is being downgraded when on battery, most likely as a power saving feature to extend the life of your battery. Is it possible the dGPU is being switch out in favour of the iGPU to save power as well? That will be in the NVIDIA control panel.

Reamzy

Everytime I'm looking if something change, there's nothing changed... I looked at Power Options, i disable Battery Boost in GFE. Maybe i don't have the right Nvidia Control Panel settings? Or i don't know where to look or how to look properly?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Everytime I'm looking if something change, there's nothing changed... I looked at Power Options, i disable Battery Boost in GFE. Maybe i don't have the right Nvidia Control Panel settings? Or i don't know where to look or how to look properly?

It's likely switching to on board graphics in nvidia control panel.

uzzi38

Would like to point out it may be a CPU issue just as much as a GPU one. Take a look at this. This first screenshot is a mix of the power options, and two screens in ThrottleStop.

As you'll notice, when on battery, even with the High Performance setting on laptop CPUs automatically throttle themselves greatly to conserve battery life.

In the second screenshot in the above Imgur Gallery, you'll see my GTX 1050 is getting utilised. But my CPU is still sitting at only 1.4GHz, even in this excessively CPU bound game I'm 'playing' (even on Ultra settings the game can't max out a GTX 1060 but instead CPUs will always be a bottleneck).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not enough wattage from the battery to power a GTX 1070 at full chat. Same happens with my laptop (6700k & GTX1080) on battery. It's well known. Power is massively reduced when you come off of the AC.

Reamzy

Oke, so I guess there's nothing to do about that, but go on with it.

I'm still wondering if the battery is the issue of this why in the first 2 weeks that i had this laptop it did function perfectly, even on battery.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oke, so I guess there's nothing to do about that, but go on with it.

I'm still wondering if the battery is the issue of this why in the first 2 weeks that i had this laptop it did function perfectly, even on battery.

It didn't I'm afraid. You probably just didn't notice with the tasks you were doing on battery. The Battery cannot put out enough wattage alone to power your system at full chat, if it could.... the battery wouldn't last and you could probably cook eggs on it.

For the most part things will run fine, anything needing your GPU to be running at a reasonable rate is going to show up big time though.

If you want to work it all out for yourself get the following info:

WH (Watt Hours) of the battery(check the voltage of the battery too if you want to know the amperage)

Power Wattage of the PSU that you have

Time (hrs) = Wh / Watts

Working Example

Wh = 82Wh (Octane III)
Wattage of PSU = 330w (Octane III)

Time = 82/330 => 0.37hrs (15 mins)

With the battery outputting 330W from a full charge it would last 15 minutes and the current draw at 19v would be 17A which a battery just won't do. Really pushing my battery I think it's dead in 25-30 minutes. Assuming it's 25 minutes would give the following:

Power = 82/0.417 = 197W and 10A

Even these figures are at the limits of what I would believe but at the end of the day, it's not going to power a 100W + CPU and a 180W GPU along with all the other gubbins at full chat :)

I'm not sure on the power requirements of the 1070 but I still think something has to give.