Very expensive new build - advice needed

I would use this for very demanding audio production work. The ram usage will be extreme since I use absolutely huge sample libraries and need a really snappy response from them while working. This is also the reason for the 2x M.2 SSD's. I have about 850GB of sample material at the moment so I figured if I have a 1TB SSD purely for that and then use the 500GB SSD for the operating system and day-to-day files. I'd then use the 6TB mechanical HDD's for storage of completed work and any other large files, but with the raid setup to mirror for extra security since it's all commissioned work and I despise cloud storage. I also need versatile processing power, so that it can run quickly both under low pressure editing and high pressure situations like 16-channel live audio recording and bouncing massive amounts of audio. I'm glad to see they've included the latest i9 9900 series from 10 cores up now, the HEDT range was looking a little stale.

And hey, if i'm building an absolute spaceship anyway I might as well have some badass graphics in there too right? As far as I can see the GTX 2080 performs almost identically to the 1080ti, so for a few hundred more i'd get the 2080ti.

Also, part of the reason for going with water cooling will be because I will need substantial cooling power, and as opposed to the fans that would be required for this it's very quiet. I can also cool the GPU this way for running 4k games.

My question to you guys (particularly you Oussebon): what are your thoughts on this build? and what would you change if it were you? Budget isn't a huge deal but I want to hit some sort of sweet spot between price and performance if possible. The monitor i'm going with (not from PCS though) is the Asus PG348Q by the way.

Custom Liquid Cooling Kit
Liquid Series Mid Kit - EK
Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Tubing
Clear Flexible Tubing - 10/16mm (Nickel Fittings)
Graphics Card Cooling
EK FC Nickel & Backplate - For One Graphics Card!
Coolant Colour
Mayhems Pastel Ice White
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-9920X 12 Core (3.50GHz @ up to 4.4GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (8 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
2nd Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2700MB/W)
RAID
RAID 1 (MIRRORED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Liquid Series® Build - Approximately 15 to 17 working days
Quantity

Price £5,399.00 including VAT and Delivery

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
bump

At OP, please stick to a single thread, if it's not being answered, just bump it as I have done.

Thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Are you sure 128gb RAM is appropriate? It's far more than I've seen on any music workstation posted on these forums. Would not 64gb be greatly more than sufficient?

If your sample library is 850gb and a 1TB SSD is about 930gb usable space, is 1TB enough? Perhaps a 2TB Evo SSD if cost is an issue.

I wouldn't use RAID as a backup, precisely because of mirroring. Instead look at getting a NAS for your home network, which you can do versioned backups on.

Seeing i9 9000 might make the HEDT lineup look refreshed because, but it's just a slightly faster version of the previous generation as Intel flail about not knowing what to do with themselves.

The 7940X is £40 cheaper and has 2 more cores, and may be overclocked higher too ('upto 4.6GHz' versus 'upto 4.4 GHz')

Or an AMD Threadripper CPU may be a better option. I haven't done costings and don't know how your software scales with cores/frequency or behaves with Ryzen's architecture but I think a 24C/48T TR is in the same sort of price area as that 'new' Intel i9 with half the cores and could be a vastly better option, potentially.

I'd probably buy a 3 year warranty for a system of this price.

Last edited: