Im new to this! Any help would be amazing.

CONeill

Hello I am new to PC gaming, around 2 months ago a purchased a Stormforce Onyx A8 9600, 8GB Ram for £400. I thought this would be able to run most games... I was wrong. Although it is ok when it comes to casual gaming, I would prefer something that could run at least Garry’s Mod servers smoothly. Would anyone be able to tell me if I am able to upgrade my current pc or would I have to either buy a new one or start from scratch? This PC has integrated graphics so I am unsure if I can add a graphics card. I am pretty sure there is a slot for a graphics card on the motherboard but as I have been reading there is a lot of things you have to think about also such as size and if there will be enough power to run it. If I’m able to add a decent graphics card will this be enough to run games smoothly or would I have to upgrade different things inside the PC? I can provide all specs if needed, sorry for all the questions I just do not have a clue when it comes to PCs. I appreciate any help! Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello I am new to PC gaming, around 2 months ago a purchased a Stormforce Onyx A8 9600, 8GB Ram for £400. I thought this would be able to run most games... I was wrong. Although it is ok when it comes to casual gaming, I would prefer something that could run at least Garry’s Mod servers smoothly. Would anyone be able to tell me if I am able to upgrade my current pc or would I have to either buy a new one or start from scratch? This PC has integrated graphics so I am unsure if I can add a graphics card. I am pretty sure there is a slot for a graphics card on the motherboard but as I have been reading there is a lot of things you have to think about also such as size and if there will be enough power to run it. If I’m able to add a decent graphics card will this be enough to run games smoothly or would I have to upgrade different things inside the PC? I can provide all specs if needed, sorry for all the questions I just do not have a clue when it comes to PCs. I appreciate any help! Thanks.

As PCS sell custom desktops and laptops we can’t advise on self builds or competitor builds. You may want to check out toms hardware which is an open forum.

If you are looking for a new build, let us know your max budget and we can suggest a PCS build.

It’s worth mentioning that usually builds like that are from poor components that can’t support gaming requirements and personally I’d look at putting it down to bad experience and start from scratch.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm inclined to agree with the above.

Although we can't advise on non-PCS systems, you wouldn't have to browse these forums far to see general advice to the effect of:
- avoid old APUs and CPUs (things beginning with A6/8/10/12 or FX) like the plague.
- check case size, PSU capacity and connections, and at what point a CPU will bottleneck a GPU before buying a GPU
- you can get cheap gaming PCs, but buying too cheap/unwisely can set a booby trap your upgrade options and your wallet later on

If you decide you're in the market for a new PC, we can always suggest a spec from PCS for you to consider alongside any other options you're looking into. :)