M2A or M2M slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BENNO

If I put my 970 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD into socket M2A as opposed to the M2M, will I compromise any performance with my SATA connections?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What exactly is the motherboard model?

The manual will tell you but if you're not comfortable with the manual I'm sure we can look it up :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10#support-manual

Z390ProM2.png Z390ProSataPorts.png

So M2M with the 970 Evo sees Sata ports 4 and 5 (ports being numbered 0-5) disabled.

According to pg 5 of the manual, 5 and 4 are the lowest pair of Sata ports (assuming your mobo is the usual way up)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Interesting. Might be worth dropping PCS a polite email pointing that out as feedback, and asking if they had any particular reason for doing so.

Maybe the SSD is cooled better there depending on your configuration or something. Though you'd think Giagbyte would have made it so the 'main' slot was likely to get the better airflow...

BENNO

Interesting. Might be worth dropping PCS a polite email pointing that out as feedback, and asking if they had any particular reason for doing so.

Maybe the SSD is cooled better there depending on your configuration or something. Though you'd think Giagbyte would have made it so the 'main' slot was likely to get the better airflow...

The manual states that M2A connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1 connector. So would that also compromise data flow of my harddrive going into SATA3 number 1?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Only if it's a Sata M.2. If it's PCIe (which the 970 Evo is) it's fine, as shown in the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.