1080 or 4K screen

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are rumours of 2000 series mobile GPUs being unveiled at CES. The 1080 has been out of stock in laptops a few times recently so perhaps that fits...

If you do proceed with a purchase now, the answer is easily 1080. The GTX 1070 is not great for 4k gaming in today's titles, let alone future ones. The 1080p screen is high refresh and has gsync. Also the benefit of the higher resolution on the 4k monitor for gaming might be a bit diminished by the relatively small screen. I've heard plenty of people say they find 32" the sweet spot for 4k...

What else are you using the laptop for?

If it's really just casual gaming, don't buy an i9 CPU as they are expensive and I would be very hesitant about putting a CPU that hot in a laptop chassis.

Frankly you could just buy a Defiance with an i7 8750H and a GTX 1070 and get the same gaming experience for ~£1000 less.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have a 4k screen in my laptop and although I am admittedly a casual gamer at best, it's never been a great experience.

Don't get me wrong - anything in 4k looks glorious even with the detail ramped down.

But Windows 10 is still a pain when it comes to high DPI scaling - especially on small screens.

darwhi

Massive thanks for the reply's guys. The laptop will be used for playing games, emulation and a bit of video editing and photoshop projects.
I fancied the i9 for futureproofing but I have read quite a few stories now about the heat issues, I'll probably avoid that now, I also can't get over the price difference between the 'Defiance and Octance V' thanks 'Oussebon' looking at that now. :yes:

I've made my mind up now regarding 4K, no point really on a 17" monitor, if I decide to play something in 4K i'll stream it to my Nvidia Sheild if I decide to get a 4K TV.

I think I will wait to see if there is any news on the new graphics cards, the GTX series looks fab :gunsmilie: It would be my typical luck paying all this money and the GTX mobile GPUs come out in a few months time.

Cheers
Darren.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are rumours of the mobile 2000 series GPUs being announced at CES (Jan2019). Though there are all kinds of rumours flying around about what might come out at CES, so a moderate qty of salt is advised :)